unique per-forum new thread function/template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unique per-forum new thread function/template

I am a newcomer to vB, therefore I apologize if my question seems repetetive of what had been asked before even though I tried to search through this forum for similar posts.

Here it is. I understand one may grant privileges to open new threads (or queue them for moderator's approval) on a per-forum basis. That's great. However, I am curious if an easy way exists to customize the new thread submission page on a per-forum basis.

Let me explain. Say, in one forum I want the users to open new threads as they please, free-form. However, in one forum I want initial posts (new thread posts) to be highly structured. I could plead with the users to do it that way, but we all know it's like herding cats, it's just not going to happen. Another possibility is to queue them for approval and then fix them before accepting them, but that may require considerable resource and time. I would rather face users with a form that has fields that need to be filled just so. I could, of course, create an appropriate form in html or php, but I don't want (if I don't have to) to mess with the original code too much and fork it based on which forum it is used in (and I am not sure my limited PHP skills would not lead to problems here).

Any advice?

Ps: I also apologize for posting it here if there is a better place, but the only thread I found on this issue, http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87400 is in a forum where I am not allowed to post.

Originally posted by hwyhobo
    I am a newcomer to vB, therefore I apologize if my question seems repetetive of what had been asked before even though I tried to search through this forum for similar posts.

Here it is. I understand one may grant privileges to open new threads (or queue them for moderator's approval) on a per-forum basis. That's great. However, I am curious if an easy way exists to customize the new thread submission page on a per-forum basis.

Let me explain. Say, in one forum I want the users to open new threads as they please, free-form. However, in one forum I want initial posts (new thread posts) to be highly structured. I could plead with the users to do it that way, but we all know it's like herding cats, it's just not going to happen. Another possibility is to queue them for approval and then fix them before accepting them, but that may require considerable resource and time. I would rather face users with a form that has fields that need to be filled just so. I could, of course, create an appropriate form in html or php, but I don't want (if I don't have to) to mess with the original code too much and fork it based on which forum it is used in (and I am not sure my limited PHP skills would not lead to problems here).

Any advice?

Ps: I also apologize for posting it here if there is a better place, but the only thread I found on this issue, http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87400 is in a forum where I am not allowed to post.
    If you check out this post http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79557, it explains what you have to do to be able to post in the licenced forums.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X