No announcement yet.

How does forum software store threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does forum software store threads?

I know this is a stupid question but I am coding a CMS (I am new to databases) for my site and I need to enable mutiple staff members to post summaries of the pokemon episodes (this is independent from vB) when I plan to only have 1 page per an episode. How would I do that? I just need a basic idea of how threads generally work.

Also if anyone could explain to me how to get PHP to detect if there is data in a row from a MySQL query or not, it would be a big help.
    Last edited by ShiningArcanine; Wed 22 Oct '03, 12:32pm.

Well for the threaded way, when you add a new rom to the table, you would have the row_id, parient_id, and if you add a first row, the row_id would be 1, and parient_id be 0, then add a reply to that thread the row_id would be 2, parient_id 1, add a new thread, you would have row_id 3, parient 0, another to the first, row_id 4, parient 1.

Complex, someone else maybe able to give a better explaination, but its one of thoes things you need to sit down and think about.

mysql_affected_rows() returns how many rows were returned, check the php manual for how to use it.

Comment

If you don't understand the basics of PHP and vBulletin integration, you are better off downloading and using a pre coded portal. If you are running vB3, take a look at external.php in the root directory. If you are running vB2, take a look at Pluh News script. Both provide ways to extract data from MySQL in vB MySQL schema.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I'll actually take the opposite stance and say that I think you should try yourself. If you have trouble and *need* something you can't yourself manage, then go for an existing solution.

I'd say you can learn from whatever product you choose to use, but I can't say the quality of the code will necessarily be very good.

Comment

I have already started coding my own. I am coding the DB and inserted some test data so I can code the display files first. I seem to have been doing categories wrong. Also, my method to do the threading was the wrong way.

Thanks guys. I will come back here if I have any trouble.

Btw, I am intermediate at PHP and new to MySQL. I haven't really looked through the vB source code since I figured it is hundreds of times more complex than anything I have ever coded so I figured I should ask you guys instead of trying to dechiper it.
          Last edited by ShiningArcanine; Wed 22 Oct '03, 4:46pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X