templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• templates

ok, lets say i was to attempt to make my own script, how exactly would i do it template-based. such as i can either get them from a database or .html files within /templates.

thanks

Originally posted by Game Wizards
    ok, lets say i was to attempt to make my own script, how exactly would i do it template-based. such as i can either get them from a database or .html files within /templates.

thanks
    I've also been wondering, I'd like to make something similar to vBulletin's template system where I can use doouput functions or something and be able to use variables in the template .

Comment

from looking in the vbulletin code i can't actually work out how everything works exactly, but i get the BASIC and i mean really basic idea.

Comment

I think, ( I think )

They create the Specific Code needed to create the variable eg User Info - Username. So they would query the user table and set it as a variable? Then when in AdminCp - Templates you will able to type that variable in , eg $bbuserinfo[username] and it would execute that Query from the user table. Just my 0.02$.

Comment

Originally posted by wslxveg
          I think, ( I think )

They create the Specific Code needed to create the variable eg User Info - Username. So they would query the user table and set it as a variable? Then when in AdminCp - Templates you will able to type that variable in , eg $bbuserinfo[username] and it would execute that Query from the user table. Just my 0.02$.
          Make a template function. Pass to it as a paramater an assotiative array of values you want to replace (IE $tempvar = array('name_in_template' => 'value to replace') ). Then get the entire template string from file/db whatever and just do this to it....

PHP Code:
          $string preg_replace("/\{(\w+)\}/e""\$tempvar[\\2]"$string); 
          Assuming that { and } is around template "variables" that is. That will replace values in the template. Then you can improve on this on your own, like caching the template strings and whatnot.

PPL may say this is slow, but its not that slow really if you cache stuff and stuff, and unless you need like a uber-fast script, this way is fine.

Comment

Thanks i am coo man .. i'll have a mess around with it.

Comment

I think vB just stores templates with php variables ($vboptions['description'], for example is the meta description) then they eval it.

Comment

well i know to call templates you can always do this

PHP Code:
                <?php
                chdir
                ("/fullpathtoforums/");
                require_once(
                "./global.php");
                eval(
                'print_output("' fetch_template('templatename') . '");');
                ?>
                and simply that will call the template out of the database granted it in that style

Comment

Originally posted by Faranth
                  well i know to call templates you can always do this

PHP Code:
                  <?php
                  chdir
                  ("/fullpathtoforums/");
                  require_once(
                  "./global.php");
                  eval(
                  'print_output("' fetch_template('templatename') . '");');
                  ?>
                  and simply that will call the template out of the database granted it in that style
                  I believe he said he wanna make his own template system

Comment

thats quite abit of work, esp to make a good one

Comment

a really simple method is as follows:
                      PHP Code:
                      function get_template($name)
                      {

$template file_get_contents('./templates/' $name '.tpl');

$template str_replace('"''\\"'$template);

$template str_replace('\\''\\\\'$template);
                         return 
                      $template;
                      }
                      $title 'Main Page';
                      $var2 'index.php';
                      eval(
                      '$output = "' get_template('index') . '";'); 
                      and the template:
                      Code:
                      <a href="$var2">$title</a>
                      and the output:
                      Code:
                      <a href="index.php">Main Page</a>
                      Not sure if you can get any info out of that, but that's essentially how the vb2.x template engine works. (Only it gets it's templates from the database).

I've written a lot more complex one than that, but I'm not at liberty to give out the code for it.

vB3's works on the same principal as the one I just posted, only they change <if> tags into ternary statements, and eval() that.

Comment

ok thanks again everyone, i'll let you knowhow it goes when i've had a mess around

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X