Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Rendering Problem - Help?

http://www.starcraftsector.com/unp

That URL renders the page 100% perfectly in IE and even Opera, and Opera is the strictest browser I've ever used, when it comes to page rendering. Yet even Opera renders it perfectly. Mozilla, which I find to be a more lenient browser, renders all parts overlapping eachother. Can someone view the source of the page and tell me why the hell it does this...?
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

First of all, you're not using a Doctype, you're using FONT tags (that's 2x really bad), you're using XHTML and HTML tags through each other, your table design is faulty (not having a colspan="2" on a <TD> that SHOULD have one, in your design, etc.); all in all, I see rather sloppy code, no offense, and I'm not surprised that it doesn't work properly in Mozilla.

What I would suggest you do to fix this, is to start off with using completely proper HTML, and then building it and only checking it in Mozilla until it looks right there, and only THEN checking it in IE and Opera.

Oh, and Opera is so not the strictest browser; Mozilla is, along with Konqueror and Galeon.

Comment

What would I use instead of FONT tags?

I'm not really sure when it went wrong. For a while, it rendered perfectly in Moz.

Tables really aren't my strong point.. I just can't seem to manage them well. I'm buying that SitePoint book "Designing Without Tables Using CSS", so once I figure all that out I might be able to fix them up..
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
        What would I use instead of FONT tags?

I'm not really sure when it went wrong. For a while, it rendered perfectly in Moz.

Tables really aren't my strong point.. I just can't seem to manage them well. I'm buying that SitePoint book "Designing Without Tables Using CSS", so once I figure all that out I might be able to fix them up..
        Style Sheets should be used inplace of font tags generally, but personally (my choice) i include them just to make sure people using really old browsers don't have a problem with the pages a i code.

Also, be careful with the order in which you nest html tags.
        <div> is invalid within <p> but the reverse of that (<div><p>) is valid.

For valid xhtml all tags should be lowercase
        Last edited by Babylon; Wed 25 Jun '03, 7:54am.

Comment

Additionally, learn some about the HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.0 and CSS (1&2) specifications on www.w3.org, and check out some of their tutorials and CSS examples and the like.

Comment

Ah, fixed the problem with div and p.

Wow, I really need to learn some CSS.. Right know, I really know 0 about it.

Tags have to be lowercase in XHTML to be valid? Bah. I sometimes code some things in uppercase because it makes it easier for me that way... HomeSite (I think that's what it was) even included a tool that would take all HTML tags and put them in uppercase... Seems to be a useless tool then.

========================================================

All of the pages render fine now save a little extra width of the middle <div> section. All of the pages, that is, except the login page. I assume this has something to do with improper coding of the table within it... Might anyone be able to help me fix it?

HTML Code:
             <form action="login.php" method="POST">
             <table width="50%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="left" valign="top">
             <tr>
              <td width="50%"><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="2"><B><U>U</U>sername:</B></FONT></td>
              <td width="50%"><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="2"><B><U>P</U>assword:</B></FONT></td>
             </tr>
             <tr>
              <td width="50%"><input type="text" name="username" size="25"></td>
              <td width="50%"><input type="password" name="password" size="25"></td>
             </tr>
             <tr>
              <td width="100%"><input type="submit" value="	Log In	" accesskey="s"></td>
             </tr>
             </table>
             </form>
            Last edited by CeleronXT; Wed 25 Jun '03, 8:52am.

Comment

HomeSite's XHTML support is dire. I was part of the beta team for Homesite 5 and they ignore all requests for decent XHTML support IMO.

Main problem is the internal validator. It completely ignores the doctype you are using and validates to the validation settings you set which is pointless. If you have an xhtml doctype it should use xhtml validation, etc.

ANd yeah, xhtml does have to be all lowercase which is good imo. It also states that all attributes should be quoted so it's nice to see some good standards for once!

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                Ah, fixed the problem with div and p.

Wow, I really need to learn some CSS.. Right know, I really know 0 about it.

Tags have to be lowercase in XHTML to be valid? Bah. I sometimes code some things in uppercase because it makes it easier for me that way... HomeSite (I think that's what it was) even included a tool that would take all HTML tags and put them in uppercase... Seems to be a useless tool then.

========================================================

All of the pages render fine now save a little extra width of the middle <div> section. All of the pages, that is, except the login page. I assume this has something to do with improper coding of the table within it... Might anyone be able to help me fix it?

HTML Code:
                 <form action="login.php" method="POST">
                 <table width="50%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="left" valign="top">
                 <tr>
                  <td width="50%"><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="2"><B><U>U</U>sername:</B></FONT></td>
                  <td width="50%"><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="2"><B><U>P</U>assword:</B></FONT></td>
                 </tr>
                 <tr>
                  <td width="50%"><input type="text" name="username" size="25"></td>
                  <td width="50%"><input type="password" name="password" size="25"></td>
                 </tr>
                 <tr>
                 </tr>
                 </table>
                 </form>
                XHTML: tags and attributes in lowercase, attributes always quoted
                CSS(2): HTML tags in UPPERCASE, types in lowercase, CSS definitions in lowercase, ; at the end of each definition
                as for your html: start off by changing this:
                HTML Code:
                 <tr>
                 </tr>
                into proper XHTML:
                HTML Code:
                 <tr>
                  <td width="100%" colspan="2"><input type="submit" value="	Log In	" accesskey="s" /></td>
                 </tr>
                And add a doctype...
                Oh, and HomeSite is a lousy tool for creating websites. As is Dreamweaver, though it's a tiny bit better (from the MX version and up anyway).
                Last edited by Faruk; Wed 25 Jun '03, 9:58am.

Comment

Originally posted by 1337Devil
                  Oh, and HomeSite is a lousy tool for creating websites. As is Dreamweaver, though it's a tiny bit better (from the MX version and up anyway).
                  Personally, i think homesite is pretty good all and all but i never use tools to create websites. Mainly, i use it for the tag color coding as it makes things clearer for extremely long pages with a lot of coding.

Homesite & Dreamweaver are pretty different in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon
                    Personally, i think homesite is pretty good all and all but i never use tools to create websites. Mainly, i use it for the tag color coding as it makes things clearer for extremely long pages with a lot of coding.

Homesite & Dreamweaver are pretty different in my opinion

If you only (or primarily) use it for the tag color coding, what you need is an Editor, not a Sitebuilder. I personally use EditPlus 2 for all my coding, has Syntax color support for HTML, CSS, PHP, ASP, Javascript, Perl, etc. etc. etc. - and it supports Regular Expression search & replace, autocomplete (very useful!) and FTP remote site browsing. Those are the main features that make Editplus really useful, and the good thing (imo) about it is that it doesn't try to follow any standard or non-standard - that's up to you, it won't mess up your HTML markup for the chosen doctype or anything.

Comment

Herm.. Did that, and my tables are still f00ked up. I still think it has something to do with that table since all the other non-tabled pages load fine.

Comment

I got it. About as close as possible anyway. All of the pages render, the only problem is the slight expansion of the middle box in Mozilla.

Comment

Good
                          too bad you've crossed your bandwidth limit, heh..

Comment

Yup, that's 61 GB of bandwidth there... :O!

Comment

damn, that's a lot....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X