PHP Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP Books

I'm looking to expand my PHP/MySQL coding knowledge. Can anyone reccomend a good book to help me learn??

I'm currently looking at this book. DOes anyone have this book? If so, how is it?? WIll it be helpful for me learning PHP/MySQL? My knowledge right now is limited, I know a bit of HTML and I've read over the PHP/MySQL for dummies book, so i'm going from that knowledge, if that helps.
    -Draco
    The Digital Sector Forums

I started with a very simple book that only got me going, PHP fast&easy Web Development. When I wanted to dive in deeper, I got Professional PHP Programming from Wrox Press, which is a big book that's really better as a reference. After those two, anything I want to learn I either look up in the manual or ask it here

Comment

The books I have read

Beginning PHP4
      MySQL and PHP Database Applications
      Sams - PHP and MySQL Web Development
      Steve Suehring - MySQL Bible

Comment

phpnuke is good

Comment

Yes I started out with the wrox books, they are excellent and I highly recommend them.

Comment

Originally posted by Evocate
            Yes I started out with the wrox books, they are excellent and I highly recommend them.
            What? I have a very low opinion of the Wrox Press books because they constantly fail to help me.

I just picked up O'reilly's PHP Cookbook. I love it, it's great. It's perfect if you know a good deal about PHP, but you want to know the ins, outs, and cool little tricks.

It is definitely worth the $40!

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn
              What? I have a very low opinion of the Wrox Press books because they constantly fail to help me.

I just picked up O'reilly's PHP Cookbook. I love it, it's great. It's perfect if you know a good deal about PHP, but you want to know the ins, outs, and cool little tricks.

I didn't have that reaction during my 30 minute review of the book. I was expecting something like the Perl Cookbook--an excellent reference. But I really felt that half the PHP Cookbook (beginning half) was so trivial, it could have easily been left out with no loss in usefulness. Perhaps the Perl Cookbook is so well done, I'm biased from that. I agree with some of the Amazon.com reviewers in that this book lacks depth in many of the code bits. Further, there was little of value that I couldn't find online with a bit of Google effort.
              Cygwin - all the tools to make Windows complete (cvs, vim, diff, grep, gcc, ssh, ...)

Comment

Originally posted by kippesp
                I didn't have that reaction during my 30 minute review of the book. I was expecting something like the Perl Cookbook--an excellent reference. But I really felt that half the PHP Cookbook (beginning half) was so trivial, it could have easily been left out with no loss in usefulness. Perhaps the Perl Cookbook is so well done, I'm biased from that. I agree with some of the Amazon.com reviewers in that this book lacks depth in many of the code bits. Further, there was little of value that I couldn't find online with a bit of Google effort.
                Yeah, I do admit the beginning is a bit slow...but otherwise, I love it...

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn

I agree with what you said about Wrox; try as i might i just can't get into them, and i find them a difficult read.

Perl Cookbook is amazing, and i have 2 other Perl books, i think called "Programming Perl" which is a great reference for all the complex stuff, and Learning Perl which was great when i was just starting off. I can always get the answers i need from the books I don't know what it is, but they just seemed to be written brilliantly and i can always read, and learn with ease from them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X