Originally posted by smachol
    Good luck!
    Thanks. Sounds like I'm gonna need it

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by XFLBret
    yup, they certainly did
    My advice - find yourself a host that knows what they are doing. If this is happening twice a day as you say, I'll bet they are restarting MySQL on a set schedule themselves. This is only something hosts do when they don't know how to properly configure a server. The fact that they told *you* you could restart MySQL means that they are either lying to you or don't know what they are talking about. Either way it's not good news for you. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• XFLBret
    replied
    yup, they certainly did

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Well then your host's technical support team is even more clueless than I thought. Did they really tell you that a user on a shared server could 'restart' MySQL on a set schedule with cron?

Leave a comment:

• XFLBret
    replied
    no, i guess they told me it was a shared server. they suggested i go with a dedicated solution, but those started at something like $500 a month...crazy

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I'm assuming this is your dedicated server, right? You can get the stats from WebHost Manager, or some other equivalent tool provided by your host to manage your server.

Leave a comment:

• XFLBret
    replied
    how do i obtain the server stats?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You do NOT want to restart MySQL every 15 minutes because if it stops while the database is being written to you will end up with a corrupted db.

It sounds like MySQL is already restarting on its own. The problem you need to solve is the issue of it going down in the first place. In that respect your web host has let you down. I'd suggest heading over to the Server Configuration forum and posting your server specs and the contents of your my.cnf file.

Leave a comment:

• XFLBret
    started a topic cron job to restart MySQL?

cron job to restart MySQL?

First off, I know absolutely nothing about MySQL, writing cron jobs, and almost nothing about PHP, so please offer any advice as if you were talking to a very young child, as I need some hand holding here.

My forums keep going down, like twice a day now, but they come back something like 10 minutes later on their own. I don't want them to go down at all.

I called up tech support, and they told me to email support, which I did. I was told that I had to write a cron script, and that they would install it for me. The script should restart MySQL every 15 minutes. The tech support guys suggested this would solve my problem, but would not write the script for me. They did say however that they would install the script for me once it was written.

So, where do I start here? I have no idea how to write a cron job, I don't even know where to start.

Thanks in advance.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X