Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FELLO9
    replied
    Now I see that all me files have changed from when it was installed. All the files used to be like one long paragraph with no space between them, and now all my files have huge spaces between them. I haven't really touched any thing, I just uploaded the forum index file once in binary mode. But now I switched bacd to ASCII. Is this a problem?
    Everything seems to be working fine in my forums, but in my error log I have alot of errors coming from my forums, do you thing this is related?
    Please folks help me out, I don't know to much, I haven't installed Vbulletin in the first place. I paid John $65 dollars to do it.

Leave a comment:

• FELLO9
    replied
    Thanks Jim F, after all I see that I'm not such a dummie because you also don't understand it.
    Also big thanks for ED Sullivan and TeckTalk for answering.

Leave a comment:

• JimF
    replied
    When you downloaded the file from vBulletin, it was in a .zip file - which gets downloaded in binary. Don't ask me why the files inside don't get messed up, because I have no idea .

I only use Binary upload for image files and exectuables - things of that sort. Any kind of text-based file I always upload in ASCII.

-jim

Leave a comment:

• FELLO9
    replied
    Can you please just give to understand what's with this "ASCII and BINARY"? To my understanding ASCII is used that the characters should get transferred properly, when the files are uploaded to my server. But when I download it to my local computer from Vbulletin the charcters would get messed up right then. Am I wrong?
    I am a total dummie with this (maybe with other things also, I leave it up to you

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    Actually, sometimes the boxes are because of the differences in line breaks between OSes.
    *nix - \n
    Win32 - \r\n (or \n\r, I forget)
    Mac - \r\r (IIRC)

Leave a comment:

• TechTalk
    replied
    Yea the small boxes are signs that it was uploaded in binary mode. Also some text editors will display these boxes where spaces exist. I dont think its a problem though

~Chris

Leave a comment:

• FELLO9
    replied
    I mean those boxy characters which won't copy here.
    I asked someone about it and he told me that I have to upload it in ASCII not BINARY, so I went to the FTP and set it that way. But could be when I first downloaded the files to my computer it changed some characters in the file.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    What do you mean "funny characters"? PHP doesn't really have funny characters...

and that's index.php, NOT admin/index.php

Leave a comment:

• FELLO9
    started a topic The most stupid question:)

The most stupid question:)

I downloaded the (1.1.4) .php3 files from the members area because I had problems with admin/index.php3 and this index file I downloaded looks different than the one on my server (also 1.1.4). I have no idea how a php3 file is supposed to look like, I just now that it looks different. Here is a partial copy of the one I downloaded and just tell me if it looks OK?
    "<?php

if ($action=="login") {
    $noheader=1;
    }

if ($action=="signup") {
    header("Location: member.php3?action=signup");
    exit;
    }

require("global.php3");

$temps=$DB_site->query("SELECT title,template
    FROM template
    WHERE title='redirect_login'
    OR title='error_nopermission' OR title='smiliebit' OR title='smilies' OR title='bbcode'
    OR title='faq' OR title='welcometext' OR title='logoutcode' OR title='newposts'
    OR title='todayposts' OR title='logincode' OR title='loggedinuser' OR title='loggedinusers'
    OR title='forumbit' OR title='categorybit' OR title='forumhome'");
    while ($temp=$DB_site->fetch_array($temps)) {
    $templatecache["$temp[title]"]=$temp[template];
    }"
    As you see this file doesn't have some of the funny characters which are find in PHP files, so is it OK? or NOT?