Table Cells in Netscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Cells in Netscape

I have been having problems using the height="100%" tags inside of cells on Netscape. In Internet Explorer It will drag the entire cell to the very bottom of the page, truly making it 100% height, but in Netscape it only brings it down about 30 pixels, why does it do this?

Go to <removed> in both Internet Explorer and in Netscape and you will see the difference in both of the two sidebars. How do I fix this? Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Colin F; Wed 10 Jan '07, 3:56am. Reason: URL removed on authors wish

It doesn't work in Netscape.

Comment

What doesnt work in Netscape?

Comment

Yeah, I know triple post, but doesnt anyone post in this forum?

Comment

The height attribute on table elements is not fully supported in netscape 4.x.

Also table in table rendering is based on the attributes applied to parent cells or rows. The width/height of the parent is for sizing purposes considered all important when specifing relative widths.

So a table with a height of 100% nested inside a table will only occupy the absolute height required and not 100% of page.

Comment

for one thing Netscape will not render a table cell if it is empty. you need to use the $ nbsp; if you don't have anyhting that goes in there.

I notice you tried but you didn't type it right. also if the cell is set at 100% height and you only have 2 words in it Netscape will only go as big as those 2 words, but if you typed in lines of words then it will expand. I never had any poblems with height %'s in Netscape.and correct that Netscape has issues with nested tables. but always a workaround.

Comment

Originally posted by scoutt
              for one thing Netscape will not render a table cell if it is empty. you need to use the $ nbsp; if you don't have anyhting that goes in there.
              &nbsp; . I always wondered why Dreamweaver added 50,000 of those things . Also, you ideally want text that wraps in some cells when specifying a TD's width; otherwise, retarded Nutscrape will just choose it's own width.

--filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Well, I actually almost have table inside table inside table on my website, so that might be the problem, and yes, I do have the &nbsp "invisible symbols" on my website and it does not help at all. Can you view my source and try to look at what I did wrong?

Comment

Netscape does not handle nested tables practically at all, so try changing your table structure a bit, using colspan and rowspan instead of multiple tables.
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

wrong Arien.

Netscape handles nested tables jssut fine. it is the images in the second table it has problems with. look at my site. I use nested tables to get a border and netscape does it just fine.

now granted Netscape has issues with some aspects of tables, but nesting is not one of them.

Comment

Yes, it does load it just fine, but the height="100%" is what doesnt work, I just dont know why.

I am going a bit off topic, but this is a message to scoutt:

(I'm not using PMs so that other people can read it as well)

Now, how did you get that JavaScript popup navigation system? I see them all over the place and I love them, but I do not know how to make them or where to get them. Can you set it up that the JS is in a seperate file so if you update the JS popups on that one file it will update the rest of the site as well as those other web sites that I see that use them. How do they do it?

Comment

very easy and yes when I update the js file it will update the whole thing, every page too.

I got that from www.dhtmlcentral.com I believe. it is called coolmenus and it is very awesome. little difficult to setup but you should do just fine.

I will take a look at your site tonight as I don't have NS here at work.

Comment

ok I looked at it and have some bad news. I said Netscape will do nested table, but it will not do the background in the nested table. that is one of the draw backs. so you will have to split the right side and left side and make then independent tables (ones that are not nested inside another table)

so you can use the background in that table and it will auomatically tile in that table. and as far as the table cell going down 100%, why I think it looks better if it ends right at the end.

other than that it looks good. I wouldn't use the <center> tag as it is not a standard anymore. you align="center" in the cell or use a div tag with that align in it.

Comment

Feeling bizarely helpful, turn
                            PHP Code:
                            <td width=125 colspan=1 valign=top>
                            <!--
                            START OF LEFT NAVIGATION BAR-->            

<
                            table width=124 height=100align=center valign=top cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2 background=http://www.square-evolution.com/gfx/bg.jpg> 
                            into
                            PHP Code:
                            <td width="125" height="100%" colspan="1" valign="top">
                            <!--
                            START OF LEFT NAVIGATION BAR-->            

<
                            table width="124" height="100%" align="center" valign="top" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" background="http://www.square-evolution.com/gfx/bg.jpg"
                            And the problem you reported will be fixed.

Comment

sorry but in Netscape4.x that does not solve the problem and that is what he asked to fix. the problem is the height of the cell if there is nothing in it. Netscape will not go 100% if the cell only contains & nbsp;

there has to be content in that cell so it can expand.

just read this at http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/ht...es/t/table.htm

Netscape and Opera: Both browsers ignore percentage values (pixel values are fine) for the HEIGHT attribute for TABLE only if the table it is being applied to is nested within another table. Internet Explorer, on the other hand, honors percentage values for HEIGHT whether a table is un-nested or nested.
                              Last edited by scoutt; Thu 21 Mar '02, 9:31pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X