How do I get around case sensitivity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get around case sensitivity?

I've created a search feature for my site I'm building, but when I enter a name to get information on a certain game, it doesn't find it unless it is case sensitive

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE LOWER(field_name)=LOWER('Your String')

mySQL Docs:
    6.3.2 String Functions

Comment

Max:

varchar and text fields are already case insensitive in MySQL, I don't believe that will make a difference.

Steviepowers:

You did not specify what kind of code you are using or if you even use a MySQL database, but because you talk of a case sensitivity problem I would assume you are not using MySQL, because most fields in MySQL are case insensitive anyway.

If you are doing a comparison in PHP, you can use the strtolower() function during the comparison:

PHP Code:
      if( strtolower($search) == strtolower($game) )
      {

// code here

Comment

Jeff,

form my experience these are different.

scoutt
        Scoutt

if I was to save that in a text field they would be different. not sure about varchar, but text is case sensitive.

Comment

Neither varchar nor text fields have been case sensitive any time I've used MySQL and I have done quite a few projects. So I don't know, maybe there is some option I don't know of.

Comment

Case sensitive or not, that query will work.

I don't remember ever needing to use it though. So I'm thinking that mySQL is case-insensitive...

Anywhoo, use whatever works and don't rock the boat.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X