automating forum creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automating forum creation

If I have a list of 80 forums that I want to create on my website, is there away to write PHP code to create them?

I currently have a list of these 80 forums in Excel.

I tried searching in this forum and on GOOGLE for the answer, but could not find any answer.

Is there a link within these forums that someone can point me to?

Import to table?

Hi! I haven't received any response for my post so I went ahead and did a little digging.

I checked the mySQL database on my website and found a table called "forum". I was thinking of analyzing this table and figure out a way to import my Excel spreadsheet through the phpMyAdmin utilities.

Has anyone ever done this before? Are there any issues which I should be aware of before trying to do something like this?

Thank you for any response!

Comment

Can you answer these questions?

1) What soft of forum are we talking about, phpBB, vBulletin?

2) Are we talking about 1 board with 80 forums on it, or

3) are we talking about 80 boards each with their own forums?

If (1 = TRUE && 3 = TRUE) { question($licensed * 80); // ? }

Comment

The best way I can think of is to export your Excel file into a CSV, and use PHP's fgetcsv() to parse it. From there, iterate through your data and use vBulletin's forum datamanager to create the forums. You should be able to get a more detailed picture on how the datamanager works by reading some of the code in admincp/forum.php.

Also, off-topic, but the API documentation is still showing at version 3.7.
        NextShout - Finally, a shoutbox that respects your bandwidth.

Comment

1 board, 80 forums

Hi Floris,

My plan is to have 1 board (= 1 website), with 80 different forum topics.

So I would think that this is only 1 license, which I have.

Comment

board = vBulletin

Floris,

I forgot to mention, the board is an instance of vBulletin.

Comment

Data Manager

Crimson! Thanks!

Oh nice! I'll check out that link.

I'm new to vBulletin, but not new to programming. I see that link contains functions that will allow me to do what I want.

My only problem now is that there will be forums in my design that will act as categories that the forums will be contained in. I will have to figure out how to use this Data Manager to do this.

Comment

Then crimson's path is the way to go.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X