The basics of PHP coding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The basics of PHP coding

I'm interested in learning how to code PHP from scratch. I have experience in advanced HTML, CSS, Java, and JavaScript - as far as familiarity goes - and a little Perl. I'm looking for some good web sites and even book recommendations for the novice PHP coder.
    Marc James
    Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
    Sports Central Message Boards

Hey Marc,

Make sure you get very acquanted to php.net.

I have PHP 4 Bible by Time Converse and Joyce Park (published by IDG). It's a good book, I use the site more. Those User Contributed Notes are sometimes life savers.

You can also check out the link section on php.net (here) for tutorials and whatnot.

Comment

Once you are familiar w/ PHP, php.net is a great resource. I have their QuickRef button in my browser - and always appreciate the user contributed notes. However, I strongly suggest that you not use that site to *learn* php, as it can be overwhelming for someone who doesn't know the language. Learn with books and online tutorials - you'll be amazed how easy it is.

Juli C. Meloni makes some great 'newbie' PHP books, they are very easy to follow and learn from.

Head over to hotscripts.com and check out their tutorial/PHP site categories - you'll likely find something there that will help you .

-jim

Comment

werd

I code HTML, JS, VBS, ASP, C+ and Java, as well as PHP.

What gets me going on PHP is simplicity - the code is very easy to understand.

Checkout PHP and MySQL Web Development by Welling and Thomson, on the SAMS publisher label. It's a good read, shows you applications dev. w/ PHP right from the get-go, and provides a boot disk for MySQL & PHP on Windows or Unix / Linux

PHP rocks!
        Last edited by Jason Halla; Tue 14 Dec '04, 3:38pm.

Comment

what I have to do to download php?

Comment

Jason Halla, don't you just hate ASP after using PHP? ASP uses too much code... like connecting to a DB. And it's soo much easier to use php.net than msdn.microsoft.com.

Originally posted by JimF
            Once you are familiar w/ PHP, php.net is a great resource. I have their QuickRef button in my browser - and always appreciate the user contributed notes. However, I strongly suggest that you not use that site to *learn* php, as it can be overwhelming for someone who doesn't know the language. Learn with books and online tutorials - you'll be amazed how easy it is.
            Well, I've been known to step in over my head. I actually bought my book after I had built my first site in PHP. I printed out a lot of the manual from php.net and learned that way. =P

Anyone know of an advanced book? Perhaps something that covers sockets and TCP in depth. I have a personal project that will be using PHP communicate with a VB program on a server, which will ultimately move a Robotic Camera Mount. I made a working version, but I'd really like to read about it so I can optimize and error check.

Comment

yep

asp is a total pain... isn't everything MS related?
              yeah, PHP is much simpler...
              Last edited by Jason Halla; Tue 14 Dec '04, 3:37pm.

Comment

Originally posted by dindio2k5
                what I have to do to download php?
                go to php.net. it's free. or zend.com (or .net... i forget which) and get it there.

Comment

to use up paper

I was bored one day at school so I printed out the entire PHP manual, all 1100 pages of it on the school printer.

Cheaper than buying a book.

And one of you said PHP was easier with an ASP background? How so, I think it would be easier with a Perl background, seeing as the languages are similar.

Thanks,
                  -Vic

Comment

I would probably be dead if I printed 100 pages from school, never mind 1100! But then the sysadmin is a moaner.

Oh well.

Comment

Re: to use up paper

Originally posted by krs-one
                      I was bored one day at school so I printed out the entire PHP manual, all 1100 pages of it on the school printer.

Cheaper than buying a book.

And one of you said PHP was easier with an ASP background? How so, I think it would be easier with a Perl background, seeing as the languages are similar.

Thanks,
                      -Vic
                      You're right - both languages are derived from C.

My point was that it would be easier to use PHP w/ an ASP background than starting from scratch, or just knowing HTML, for instance. But, in any event, PHP is probably the quickest preprocessing language to learn right now... at least, having worked w/ ASP, and seen Perl, CFM, JSP, etc., PHP seems the easiest to me. And that's a good thing - code doesn't need to be complicated to be good or useful.

Anyhow - hope I cleared that up. You're absolutely right, though - if someone's gotta perl bkgnd, PHP is right up their alley. Yep.
                      Last edited by Jason Halla; Tue 14 Dec '04, 3:36pm.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out HotScripts.com for tutorials.
                        Marc James
                        Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                        Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

hmm..I started printing out the phpmanual 1 hour and 30 min. ago..it's still not d0ne. this sux bigtime

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X