Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logging PHP Access Violations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Logging PHP Access Violations

    Members report seeing:
    PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 7C8224B2

    but nothing is being reported in the php error log.

    How can I trap/record/diagnose this event?
    Last edited by Dabbler; Mon 11 Dec '06, 7:49am.

  • #2
    Have a look here:

    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211513

    Comment


    • #3
      Unfortunately, that thread has nothing about trapping/logging the event in question.

      Anyone with ideas on how to "trap/record/diagnose" the Access Violation event?

      Comment


      • #4
        It's a Windows error though its usually resource related.

        I'll assume your running IIS to begin with and ISAPI too.

        What version of PHP?
        Scott MacVicar

        My Blog | Twitter

        Comment


        • #5
          The Access Violation message comes from the PHP ISAPI module (php5isapi.dll) that is part of the PHP package. It is most likely triggered by resourcerelated bugs in one of its subcomponents (like php extensions etc).

          Although PHP itself is coded in a threadsafe manner, many of the extensions are not. Running a non-threadsafe component in the threadbased ISAPI environment is unfortunately a recepie for disaster. This is why MicroSoft and Zend are working closely together to implement a FastCGI component for IIS (a new preview of that is coming this month). CGI/FastCGI works better with the non-threadsafe coding habits used with many Linux/Unix environments.

          If you want to debug the issue yourself, I have dug up a link that might put you on the track.
          How to debug ISAPI DLLs
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183480

          Regards
          - Tommy
          MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT
          A few eggs short of a complete easter basket

          vB 4.0.5+ CMS (No hacks), Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.3+ (FastCGI), WinCache, Memcached, MySQL 5.1.45

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Scott MacVicar View Post
            It's a Windows error though its usually resource related.

            I'll assume your running IIS to begin with and ISAPI too.

            What version of PHP?
            System profile here:
            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213284

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TommyBALL View Post
              The Access Violation message comes from the PHP ISAPI module (php5isapi.dll) that is part of the PHP package. It is most likely triggered by resourcerelated bugs in one of its subcomponents (like php extensions etc).

              Although PHP itself is coded in a threadsafe manner, many of the extensions are not. Running a non-threadsafe component in the threadbased ISAPI environment is unfortunately a recepie for disaster. This is why MicroSoft and Zend are working closely together to implement a FastCGI component for IIS (a new preview of that is coming this month). CGI/FastCGI works better with the non-threadsafe coding habits used with many Linux/Unix environments.

              If you want to debug the issue yourself, I have dug up a link that might put you on the track.
              How to debug ISAPI DLLs
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183480

              Regards
              - Tommy
              Very helpful. THANKS!

              Comment


              • #8
                Is there a list of which DLL's should be enabled in php.ini?

                I don't have them all enabled, but I do have maybe a dozen which have been turned on over the years. I'm thinking it would be useful to review this list as some of them probably date back to when we were using PHP 4. (not sure about that, tho')

                Using:
                CPU: dual 3.2 GHz Intel Xeons
                RAM: 4GB
                HD: 73GB SCSI x2 (RAID 1)

                OS: Windows Server 2k3
                Web: IIS 6.0 (isapi mode)
                W3WP: 4 processes recycled every 4 hours or every 10,000 requests

                PHP: 5.2.0 (from php.net, not from Zend)
                MySQL: 5.0.26 nt-community
                vB: 3.6.0

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here are the extensions I use on my vBulletin dedicated server (specs in my sig)
                  Code:
                  extension=php_xcache.dll
                  extension=php_gd2.dll
                  extension=php_mbstring.dll
                  extension=php_mysql.dll
                  extension=php_mysqli.dll
                  Regards
                  - Tommy
                  MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT
                  A few eggs short of a complete easter basket

                  vB 4.0.5+ CMS (No hacks), Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.3+ (FastCGI), WinCache, Memcached, MySQL 5.1.45

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Are you using FastCGI or ISAPI?

                    xcache is for a PHP accelerator?

                    And where do you use mysqli?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dabbler View Post
                      Are you using FastCGI or ISAPI?
                      ISAPI
                      Originally posted by Dabbler View Post
                      xcache is for a PHP accelerator?
                      Yes
                      Originally posted by Dabbler View Post
                      And where do you use mysqli?
                      With vBulletin
                      http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/editconfig

                      Regards
                      - Tommy
                      MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT
                      A few eggs short of a complete easter basket

                      vB 4.0.5+ CMS (No hacks), Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.3+ (FastCGI), WinCache, Memcached, MySQL 5.1.45

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TommyBALL View Post
                        Using mySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.2.
                        Do you recommend mysqli??

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dabbler View Post
                          Using mySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.2.
                          Do you recommend mysqli??
                          JelSoft recommends mysqli in the documentation
                          http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/mysqli
                          MySQLi is an improved database layer for PHP 5 and MySQL 4.1+. It is strongly recommended that MySQLi be used if your MySQL server is at version 4.1 or higher.
                          MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT
                          A few eggs short of a complete easter basket

                          vB 4.0.5+ CMS (No hacks), Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.3+ (FastCGI), WinCache, Memcached, MySQL 5.1.45

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The VB manual on the config file at:
                            http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/editconfig
                            states regarding the $config['Database']['dbtype'] setting:
                            If you are using PHP5 in combination with MySQL 4.1.x you may want to change this variable to 'mysqli'
                            which implies to me that it is (a) specific to MySQL 4.1.x and (b) optional. Hence my question.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It's optional, but if you have the possibility, then we recommend it.
                              Best Regards
                              Colin Frei

                              Please don't contact me per PM.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X