Problem with frames!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with frames!

Im trying to have my with a topframe and mainframe, whenevr i try to log into the forum from the mainframe the page refreshes without allowing me to login, any ideas?

Stay away from frames, they are not so popular anymore, and a PITA.

Bob

Comment

I like frames.
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

I would agree with Bob, frames were all the rage years ago and it was quite easy to use something like "Fontpage XP" to create a pretty good website using frames to good effect, seeing as it came with pre-set framed templates etc.

But not many people build sites using frames now since tables took over. The only good thing about frames was the fact you could have a top and side frame with a scrolling center main frame for content. And then add more frames to the center as new pages that scrolled while the top and side stayed static etc.

But nodody uses them now really since tables took over. And there seen as a very novice way to create a site also, if your still after doing the design sales thing
        Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 26 Feb '06, 3:36pm.

Comment

I find frames often make the site easier to navigate. I've always been a fan of them, personally.
          "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Yes, there good in one sense because you can have a left static frame for the menu, top frame for header, and then center frame for content that is scrollable. And then you can just add new pages to the center as frames. The good thing is it allows you to add lots of content to the center frame because it can scroll while the left and top frame stays static as the menu and header etc.

But I'd have to say they look very naff these days really. I used them years ago and thought they were useful then myself. But tables are more flexible really which is why they took over from frames.

But I guess it depends if frames suits your needs better. But if you creating a site for the design sales thing still. I would avoid them like the plague. If it justs a hobby site, then use them if they do what you need.
            Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 26 Feb '06, 3:46pm.

Comment

Frames - Say goodbye and get over it.

Like mentioned below, Frames are a thing of the past. The new way to create a website is to use tables to create your layout. The key here is to use what is called "server side includes".

Basically you create the following;

1) header.htm - This contains you header information, graphic ets.
              2) nav_right.htm - This contains you common navigation code.
              3) template.htm f- This contains a table which will you design for you page layout for all pages in your site.

To include you header.htm or navigator.htm file use the following line of code in your program.

<!--#include file="copyright.html" -->

NOTE: IN ORDER TO USED SERVER SIDE INCLUDES, YOU WEB HOSTING PROVIDER MUST ALLOW YOU TO USE THEM. CALL THEM AND CONFIRM THIS AHEAD OF TIME.

Here is an example of a program with the code

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
              <html>
              <head>
              <title>Maritime Classic Cars - Your source for Classic Cars information in the Maritime provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick & PEI.
              </title>
              <META name="description" content="Maritime Classic Cars, Maritimes Canada's Classic Car information station">
              <META name="keywords" content="classic, cars, classic cars, classic car, muscle car, muscle cars, classic car classifieds, sell classic car, antique car, antique cars, vintage, automotive, history, historical, classic car dealers">
              <META name="keywords" content="nova, scotia, nova scotia, new, brunswick, pei, prince, edward, island,prince edward island.">
              <META NAME="author" CONTENT="Sunset Software Services">
              <META NAME="expires" CONTENT="NEVER">
              <meta name="revisit-after" content="7 days">
              <meta name="ROBOTS" content="ALL">
              <META name="copyright" content="Copyright 2006, Maritime Classic Cars.">
              <LINK REL="STYLESHEET" TYPE="text/css" HREF="common.css">
              </head>
              <script language="javascript" src="scripts/menu.js"></script>
              <body>
              <!--#INCLUDE FILE="includes/header.htm" -->
              <!-- *******************************************************************************
              *** Content start here
              *******************************************************************************
              -->
              <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="760" align="center">
              <tr>
              <td valign="top" class="tdMain">
              <p align="center">
              <h3><i>Welcome to MaritimeClassicCars.com</i></h3>
              </td>
              <td valign="top" class="tdNav">
              <!--#INCLUDE FILE="includes/nav_right.htm" -->
              </td>
              </tr>
              </table>
              <!--#INCLUDE FILE="includes/footer.htm" -->
              </body>
              </html>

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X