No announcement yet.

Cron Job ? How does Vbulletin Run it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cron Job ? How does Vbulletin Run it ?

I am so confused, how does Vbulletin get to run a Cron Job from only installing Vbulletin. I know how to create a Cron Job using the SSH command line, but how do they do it ? Please help me, it has been puzzling me for Ages now !

I might be wrong on this but there is a bit of code called in the footer template which prompts the cron script to check if anything needs to be run.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Mmm... thanks, so its not an actual Unix Cron... thanks that sounds about right...

Comment

Correct there is no Unix cron involved. Whenever a cronjob needs to be run it will just run in the webserver.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoH64
          Correct there is no Unix cron involved. Whenever a cronjob needs to be run it will just run in the webserver.

Um - that sounds weird.

More like - there is no Cron Job so to speak - instead - when its time to run, its method of running is through a page hit by a visitor to the site - that page view, provides the start up it needs.

So vBulletin crons do not run exactly at the specified time, nor do they need to either.

Comment

Assuming your site always has trafic they should run when they need to

Comment

So that won't cause a load say if you have 4000 users on at once and all are hitting that script everytime they browse a page?
              4000 times a minute give or take.
              and if you're in a cluster, won't it create the chance to run processes concurrently?

Comment