Okay, I've a nutty question...don't laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, I've a nutty question...don't laugh

I love the speed of my VB and know that this is a great help to my site. (Thanks John and James!)

Okay, the rest of my site is on the big side...when I have to update links, I have to do it to every page on the rest of the static pages...all html.

Could I use a hacked version of VB to create my content pages....with the header, footer and then content that I alone can input (creating a non-bulletin board template) and then add links to my index page? This way I can update the header of my site and footer (with all the links current with one change instead of hundreds)?

Is this nuts?

I'm thinking in the long run I need to have my ever growing site easy to edit....

If it isn't a hacked up VB, what am I looking for? (and no, I HATE frames)
    Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

You don't necessarily have to hack up the vB, you can do regular includes with PHP. For example, I just put footers on all my pages today. I went through and put the following code at the very end of every page:

Code:
    <?php
    include("footer.inc")
    ?>
    The file, footer.inc, is just the table tags - no <html> or <body> tags. Don't forget to make it relative to the directory ("../../footer.inc" vs. "footer.inc")

Then every page will display the same footer, and I only have to edit the "footer.inc" file when I need to change something.

Prior to using PHP, I used SSI (Server Side Includes) do the same thing, except the code for that is:

Code:
    <!--#Include Virtual "footer.inc"-->
    Hope this helps

-jim
    "The dot-com bust has cleared out the carpetbaggers and left the Internet to those who really care about it"
    - Jon Ippolito, new-media curator, Guggenheim Museum

Comment

Thanks Jim! I got this all figured out and Kathy and I will be adding the headers and footers to all the pages soon. One last time of editing everything and then we're in business! A friend of mine and I were trying to figure out how to do this about a year ago and never did figure it out. Now, I have to send her email... Thanks for making me look somewhat slow on the draw, but brilliant, nonetheless.

Susan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X