vb3 authentication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vb3 authentication

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes...

I'm trying to convert some PHP pages I made for Infopop's Eve forum to vB3. The pages were simple, users filled out a form and I stored it in the DB. For authentication I just got the username and password through the cookie that was set and then checked the DB. With VB3 how do you go about getting the username and password to check against the DB? Or do you go about it another way? I see a session hash cookie so I'm assuming you use that somehow.

I found some stuff by doing a search, but nothing that I could use I don't think (I'm no PHP/web designer expert, though).

Any help would be great.

includes/functions_login.php and you should find a function called verify_login that will either return true or false.

if (md5($bbuserinfo['password'] . 'LICENSE_NUMBER_HERE') == $_COOKIE[COOKIE_PREFIX . 'password'])

is the cookie check, COOKIE_PREFIX is defined in config.php, by default its just bb.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I see a verify_authentication function, not verify_login. I can follow the code well enough, but I'm still uncertain on how to get the userid and password to pass to the function.

Comment

Are you supposed to use the sessionhash cookie and query the DB for the userid and password? That's if the userid and password cookies have not been set, ie they didn't check the "Remember Me" box. Does that sound right?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X