to or not to specify font sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to or not to specify font sizes

Now this is really serious. There are some who say that a font size of 10 to 12 points would be good, some others who say that font sizes should be specified in percentage of 80 to 90% and some others who are against specifying font sizes. I wonder which one would be correct on the web usability point of view. Any help?

Last edited by gm1234; Fri 27 Aug '04, 3:35am.

Hi gm1234

If you are talking in terms of accessability then this may be of use:
    http://tech.shu.edu/webdev/accessibility/index.htm
    Later
    Keith

Webxpertz Community for Webmasters & Developers

Comment

As far as I am concerned anything left relative to the browser is a bad thing.

IE and Firefox still have some issues for the more creative people like me and Opera still wants my money...

Although a % would be considered bynamic, it's now up to the browser to decide what actual size it will be rendered at. So if you want consistency set it in absolute. It may be static but you know you'll always get consistency.

In addition if you want to make things easier to read set onmouseout and onmouseover attributes to paragraphs and titles alike so the text can increase when simply moving the mouse over them.
      John Bilicki III
      Webmaster of JAB Creations

Comment

I've never quite understood why it's bad to allow people to change the text size. Perhaps someone can explain what the issue is?

Comment

Hi Kamex

It is only "bad" if you think that it is. On a personal level, I can understand that changing the font size can "mess-up" the layout design but it is the users prerogative to have contriol of their browser and view as they wish. The main reason, of course, to change the font size would be that of poor eyesight so, if the designer does not allow the change of font size they are diminishing the audience for their sight.
          Each to their own
          Last edited by diades; Fri 3 Sep '04, 2:15am.
          Later
          Keith

Webxpertz Community for Webmasters & Developers

Comment

It's not about the layout. It's all about the content and letting the users change the fontsize is a very good thing.

Iam using font-size: small; for body { } and the rest is using fontsize in percent.

Changing

body {
            font-size: small;
            }

to

body {
            font-size: xx-large;
            }

will change the whole content's fontsize
            That's the end of that!

Comment

I'm always developing my code including my css so I rarely have working examples....

Though when everything is working I usually have three font sizes available PER theme. Small Normal and large. 11px, 14px, and 18px or something like that...but then again I keep modding my code so much I cant remember
              John Bilicki III
              Webmaster of JAB Creations

Comment

Relative fonts are ESSENTIAL

I understand the design issue and why some people want to control the size of fonts, but this is a very bad thing, especially for people who can't see well. Creating multiple themes to change from one hard-coded font size to another is a poor workaround. It is MUCH better to design with the "normal" font size in mind and let the user control the relative size through their browser.

On this note, I'm trying to reconfigure the way font size is defined in my vb3 board, but having some trouble. I want to ideally use em to define font size, but it's not working the way would expect. Keywords sizes works fine (medium, small, x-small, etc.) as do pt definitions (used by the default vb3 skins). But em sizes end up incorrectly rendered too small.

1em should be equivalent to the keyword medium (or about 12pt). But when I specify that through the master CSS, the font gets ridiculously small... like 1 pixel in height.

I don't want to use keywords because they don't allow enough granularity. Ems allow me to specify decimal values (.7em, for example).

Has anyone else been able to use em sizes with vBulletin successfully? Any tips?
                BigBlueBall for everything about instant messaging
                GetGamer to get gamer news, reviews and gear

Comment

Originally posted by GetGamer.com

1em should be equivalent to the keyword medium (or about 12pt). ...
                  hello
                  no this isn't correct, because:

• em: ..-->The 'em' unit is equal to the computed value of the 'font-size' property of the element on which it is used. The exception is when 'em' occurs in the value of the 'font-size' property itself, in which case it refers to the font size of the parent element.
                  never forget :-)

What did one .em say to the other .em? Who's your Daddy?

edit:
                  the original at w3c.org

ciao
                  frage
                  Last edited by frage; Sun 12 Dec '04, 4:33am.

Comment

Ok, I stand corrected. This may explain why I'm having trouble using ems in my Main CSS configuration for vBulletin.

But assuming that there is NO font size defined, here is what the various methods of specifying font size will return, using Internet Explorer 6.

With IE configured for "normal" font size:

And this the same HTML, but with IE configured for "largest" font size:

You can test yourself at http://www.hisbuddyicons.com/text-test.html

Even though I went through and redefined all the text sizes in the Main CSS configuration screen, I was getting really small, unreadable text using ems. What this tells me is that somewhere in the code the text size is being defined for an element using some hardcoded value. I'll have to do some more searching to figure out where.
                    BigBlueBall for everything about instant messaging
                    GetGamer to get gamer news, reviews and gear

Comment

and if you would like to help me....
                      find out a method to kill all the browsercoder ....

its better to use em or % because you can't know what font-size your user need,

more than 45% of all interuser have probs with their eyes,

a hard pixel code is out....

and so we webdesigner have to try and try ......and try...
                      to find out the best % for our designs...
                      I love it...really..

and I don`t use IE----
                      frage

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X