Putting In a Doctype causes horizontal scrollbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting In a Doctype causes horizontal scrollbar

Hey, I've been trying to take my sloppily done HTML 4 website and turn it into an XHTML website. The site is done with frames.

In the process of converting my site, I have run into a problem. When any of the converted pages are long enough for a verticle scrollbar, and are viewed in the frames, then have a horizontal scrollbar too. My guess is that this is happening because the page isn't getting narrower to make room for the verticle scrollbar, as the horizontal scrollbar scrolls this exact distance. I thought this was an XHTML problem, but it seems to occur if I put ANY doctype at the top of the page, not just the XHTML one.

The pages are plain text, with no images. What should I do to fix this?

I found a page on the internet that says this is a rendering glitch with IE. The only way to fix it is to put scrolling="yes" in the <frame> that's causing the trouble.

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
      THANKS FOR THE TIP!!!!!!!!

I am using a top invisible frame on my site and since I upgraded to vB 3.0.0, I was getting this ugly horizontal scrollbar and had no clue what was going on!!! I've been trying to fix it for weeks!

Thanks again

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X