No announcement yet.

Gentoo linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use FreeBSD but have heard of a lot of fbsd users who like gentoo; does gentoo make for a good desktop OS? (more so than FreeBSD?)

J.

Comment

Horses for courses, though just about all the apps you'd want for a desktop are in the portage system.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I might put together a cheap $300 system and try Gentoo. Last time I tried Linux, it was great at first but it got more and more frustrating over time. Main issue was KDE liked to crash about 15 times a day and getting applications to work seamlessly with each other was a pain. The Linux core itself was great but the applications on top of it made me feel like I was working with some weird combination of Windows 95 and Windows 3.1.

Finally had to switch back to Windows because there were no Desktop Publishing Applications (i.e. Pagemaker or MS-Publisher) available that I could find and OpenOffice simply couldn't handle the layouts I needed. Heck, even Pagemaker and MS-Publisher can't do what I wanted so I went and bought a $40.00 application from Broderbund to do it.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          I might put together a cheap $300 system and try Gentoo. Last time I tried Linux, it was great at first but it got more and more frustrating over time. Main issue was KDE liked to crash about 15 times a day and getting applications to work seamlessly with each other was a pain. The Linux core itself was great but the applications on top of it made me feel like I was working with some weird combination of Windows 95 and Windows 3.1.

Finally had to switch back to Windows because there were no Desktop Publishing Applications (i.e. Pagemaker or MS-Publisher) available that I could find and OpenOffice simply couldn't handle the layouts I needed. Heck, even Pagemaker and MS-Publisher can't do what I wanted so I went and bought a $40.00 application from Broderbund to do it.
          Build the machine, boot it up and give me a ssh link to it for set up, I'll do the rest Job done.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Just boot up to the install CD, start ssh, and Jerry can even install it for you!

But really, installing Gentoo is half the fun. You'll increase your Linux knowledge ten-fold by installing Gentoo.

Comment

The only thing that frightens me is it taking days to install (?).

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB
                The only thing that frightens me is it taking days to install (?).
                I did the last on in about 4 hours I think it was, from ;

"Hmm thats a burnt iso then"

to

"Hmm, this is quite neat lets install MySQL and PHP"
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

If you have a Pentium 200 without MMX and 32 MB of RAM it might take around a day or 4 to start from stage 1.

On my Athlon XP, it was about 4 hours as Jerry says.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                  http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

So a P3 with 400-odd MB RAM will do it in half a day?

Comment

I honestly have no idea. I am not eager to find out how long it will take on a Celeron 333 that I want to set up as a server.

Might just go with Win2k Server...

Comment

Check out the stages, basically they are like cheats.. stage 1 install takes a long time as you compile everything on your machine from source. Stage 3 has a lot of stuff precompiled, but optimised, so you should be up and running in hours rather than days. I've installed on a machine at work which is a P2 400 with 256 MB RAM. Great little machine for doing stuff, but Gentoo certainly makes it work hard from a stage 1 installation.

@ Wayne: Gentoo is nice because it feels more like a hobby/project/creation. You always strive to perfect it, tweak it and make it your own. Which I guess is half of the fun. DTP, Music production and quite a few other areas are badly supported under linux, dual booting is the way to go if you depend on an application to get a job done, which has no alternatives.

Personally I don't think Linux or more specifically KDE/Xfree/OOo etc are ready for the mass desktop audience though. Apart from some pretty major licensing issues with the Xfree project, I feel that the potential is there for it to be a serious desktop contender. Companies linux Lin---s and Xandros putting out their own friendly distros, at low prices is a good thing and reminds people that there are alternatives.
                        HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                        -
                        Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

I ended up cheating and going with stage 3 so I could just get on with life on my laptop. Doesnt matter though, every linux/BSD distribution I throw at it seems to not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
                            @ Wayne: Gentoo is nice because it feels more like a hobby/project/creation. You always strive to perfect it, tweak it and make it your own. Which I guess is half of the fun. DTP, Music production and quite a few other areas are badly supported under linux, dual booting is the way to go if you depend on an application to get a job done, which has no alternatives.
                            Hmm, I guess then it isn't for me. I don't want another hobby or project. I want an operating system that simply works with applications that work. You know something that lets me get work done. Maybe if I was a dozen years younger this would be for me.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksilebo
                              I ended up cheating and going with stage 3 so I could just get on with life on my laptop. Doesnt matter though, every linux/BSD distribution I throw at it seems to not work.
                              yeah i'm kind of in the same situation...i have a brand new laptop and there's no documentation on FreeBSD with my laptop....or any other *NIX besides suse.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksilebo
                                You don't, by any chance, have a CPU that switches between two speeds depending on usage? My laptop normally runs at 1,6 GHz and it switches to 3,06 GHz if the speed is needed. At first linux wouldn't work there, either, until I figured out I had to compile it with SMP support. Maybe that helps.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X