Visa's And Migration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa's And Migration

Just curious to if any of the members here have had any involvement with migrating from the US to Australia.

I have a couple of very good friends stateside that want to come out here to live.
    And to say the immagration departments from both sides have had us running round in circles, jumping thru hoops etc would be a HUGE understatement.

If they wre coming from anywhere but the states, it would be a walk in the park
    i.e.
    Tourist/Working visa to enter
    Skilled Migrant visa to stay
    Real simple

But no
    The US refuses to sign those type of agreements with any country
    Yes I understand why, but cmon.
    Gimme a break here
    Seeing they are coming from the states its like this :
    Tourist non-working visa
    And then more hoops as they will have to attmpt to get sponsored by a company with a list of conditions as long as you arm

Yes
    Im frustrated as all hell
    And yes
    Im venting

But the whole point of this thread is to see if any of you fine people out there have been thru - or know of others - anything like this, and can offer any advice.

Its not to debate whether the US is right or wrong
    Or start a political debate

Just looking for a shining light at the end of a tunnel, cause atm, it looks like its been switched off
    None

I've done AUS to UK Unfortunately, no help. tell 'em to move to Canada and try from there

Comment

I did U.S. > Russia in 1974-76. The company I worked for took care of everything so I think the hassle was less then an individual would go through.
      I know the U.S. requires that the company you are going to work for sponsors you to get a work visa, but, you know this already.
      Why not have them enter on a visitor visa and then when they find work have the company file the papers?
      Once you get an employer involved the agravation level will lessen.
      Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Depends how old, the US and Australia have signed a tentative working holiday program so that a US citizen can have 4 months in Aus, I think it is through bunac or someone like that - but you have to be young, probably under 25, maybe 30. If they then got employed while in Australia and that company was prepared to sponsor them then it is possible they might be allowed to stay; as I understand it Aus actually listen to circumstances whereas US immigration don't.

Otherwise, I think you need to set up a job first. You can find out all the details at www.workpermit.com they have an amazing amount of information on their site.

Unfortunatly, when it comes to visas, dealing with the US is the worst of all western countries in them either wishing to live elsewhere or someone wanting to move there.
        Christopher Padfield
        Web Based Helpdesk
        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
          Unfortunatly, when it comes to visas, dealing with the US is the worst of all western countries in them either wishing to live elsewhere or someone wanting to move there.
          If terrorist wackos had flown airliners into Buckingham Palace, I would imagine that the UK would have tight requirements on visas as well.

Comment

a) The visa restrictions are no harder now then they where before
            b) The terrorists already had student visas. If you have enough money to afford to go to a US college you can get in without any problem. It is a financial situation.
            c) The UK has suffered terrorist attacks, largely financed from East Coast US for the last 20 years. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1563119.stm

Either way, the US seems to be very keen on "free trade" but not vey keen on "free movement of people". Economically these two approachs contradict each other - which is why outsourcing is so popular.
            Last edited by chrispadfield; Thu 4 Mar '04, 12:32pm.
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

You must successfully be able to outrun a dingo, as initiation they make you ride in a kangaroo pouch, for 30 mins..
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Thats only if your survive the 15 minutes swimming with a croc.
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

The kangeroo pouch is slimy, noone would want to be in one

Though i do ride to work on the back of one! (cant believe some people believed that when i was in america ! )

Comment

lol
                    Steve Erwin should be shot....twice just to make sure

Thanks to everyone - esp you Chris - for your replies

The frustration levels have decresed a fair bit
                    And the search continues....
                    None

Comment

Just make sure they look out for the wombats - viscious little buggers!

Comment

Originally posted by NF Admin
                        lol
                        Steve Erwin should be shot....twice just to make sure

Thanks to everyone - esp you Chris - for your replies

The frustration levels have decresed a fair bit
                        And the search continues....
                        ya the frustration is down a little NF ... not much but a little

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X