Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do with the people who register and never email activate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
    What do you do? Personally, I've decided to just start deleting accounts.
    Well, I first make sure that they actually got their verification emails.

I've got a cron set up to automatically re-send email after 48 hours. After that, I wait a month and delete.
    :)

Comment

I pruine them out from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by hornstar6969
        Vbulletin needs to look at why the emails are being sent to the spam folders. Why are hotmail, yahhoo and aol flagging them as spam?
        Think about it. If there was a foolproof way for us to bypass spam filters, don't you think the spammers would already be doing this?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Delete them... it's almost pointless to keep a user waiting!

Comment

i resend the validation email after a few days and if they still dont complete then i just delete them a few days later
            For all you game collectors

Comment

I just make so they cant see the board..i know i have a few people that sign up using fake emails..

you know when they are fake when its [email protected]

Or sometimes i put them in validation

Comment

Is there a way to resend validation emails on mass?

We have a forum with about 1000 unvalidated user accounts, is there a way to resend everyones validation links to those who still haven't validated for whatever reason? This would be really handy!

Thanks,
                Tom

Comment

You can use the Send Email to USers function in your AdminCP.

Please note that sending activation links will not work, unless you select ONLY the Awaiting Email Confirmation usergroup in the selections.
                  Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                  Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

You can send a mass email to the 'Users Awaiting' group and use $activatelink in the body of the message.

Admin CP -> Users -> Send Email to Users

Make sure you only choose the Users Awaiting group.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I found a plugin on vbulletin.org today which should help with this:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99579

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
                        I give them a month to activate and if they don't I just delete them
                        Sound about right

Comment

Originally posted by hornstar6969
                          Every board owner should look at how to combat the problem of it being sent to junk mail.
                          If you have a customer service forum change your permissions so Users Awaiting Email Confirmation/Moderation can post in it. Add help links in appropriate locations that start a new thread in that forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmi
                            I just make so they cant see the board..i know i have a few people that sign up using fake emails..

you know when they are fake when its [email protected]

Or sometimes i put them in validation
                            Thats what I do also, unless there log-in as a member. They cannot view any content on the site, not even in the archive threads or print friendly version. Plus they get a big box telling them to activate there account with links to resend and change email address. When they come back as un-validated login in thinking they can view thread content.

Seems to be working great.

Comment

well..
                              i keep guests browsing the forum and when he register and not active the code he will see hidden Cat-forum with name ( Awaiting Email Confirmation forum )
                              when the user register he will see nothing just one forum tell him that his registration not completed and he need to active his account by going to his email ...etc.

after when he active the code the Awaiting Email Confirmation forum will hide and he will see the other threads and he will be member with full permission

all this done by forum permission no hacks/plug-in

goodluck

Comment

I give these users about a month to activate. AFter this time I delete them to save on database space.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X