Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do with the people who register and never email activate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with the people who register and never email activate?

What do you do? Personally, I've decided to just start deleting accounts.

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
    What do you do? Personally, I've decided to just start deleting accounts.
    i do deleting if posts is at 0 posts execpt if i have non spamming forum i check it for any posting

Comment

I prune any accounts that have yet to activate their account after 30-60 days.
      Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

I give them a month to activate and if they don't I just delete them

Comment

I deleted them when ever I looked at that group on my dead forum, and will check monthly and then delete them.

I would like to see this added to the vbcron system, if not verified, send e-mail 1 day later then 1 week and then delete after 30 days, or how ever long the admin decides on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Write
            I deleted them when ever I looked at that group on my dead forum, and will check monthly and then delete them.

I would like to see this added to the vbcron system, if not verified, send e-mail 1 day later then 1 week and then delete after 30 days, or how ever long the admin decides on.
            somewhere i not sure i recall at hull bikers forum has a mod that deletes dead users with no posts
            and i think VB has prune users when users is dead

Comment

Suggest it.

Comment

My members have 10 days to activate their account and then their account is deleted. Its a nightly cron set up, emailing them a few times with their activation link....and a reminder they need to activate to have a log-in. Some activate...others don't because their email address isn't valid....or they just don't for some other mysterious reason.

They all get deleted nightly via cron.
                Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

I am running Mac OS X Panther Server. How do you setup cron job? I want to backup the DB's nightly and also do VB work.

Comment

One thing I can tell you is that alot of email gets lost in the spam filters. I have tried to register for a few boards which do the email verification - and never to get the verification email, only to later find it in my spam filter on aol.
                    vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                    vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
                    Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

[QUOTE]

Interesting. Any way to combat this problem (re-format the message to not be declared spam)?

Comment

Originally posted by joeychgo
                        One thing I can tell you is that alot of email gets lost in the spam filters. I have tried to register for a few boards which do the email verification - and never to get the verification email, only to later find it in my spam filter on aol.
                        I'm finding this as well (AOL, Yahoo, and Hotmail are all doing this).
                        Julie

Comment

I am running Mac OS X Panther Server. How do you setup cron job? I want to backup the DB's nightly and also do VB work.
                          To setup a CRON job on OS X is just like any other UNIX system.

Here's a good tutorial: http://www.clockwatchers.com/cron_main.html

To backup your forum, set the command to be backup database command found in the 'Moving Servers' part of the vB manual.

As far as deleting users, I think that you can set CRON to access a PHP script, in which case you could include the vB back end and then run a mySQL query.

Edit: If you're like GUI's, you can use Cronix to do this.
                          Last edited by daemon; Wed 3 Mar '04, 9:45pm.
                          Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

[quote=Mac Write]

Interesting. Any way to combat this problem (re-format the message to not be declared spam)?
                            '

Vbulletin needs to look at why the emails are being sent to the spam folders. Why are hotmail, yahhoo and aol flagging them as spam?

What can we change to make them not flag them.

This is important, i get about 20 emails a day saying i registered 10 hours ago and still have not recieved it. Then i need to explain to them its in there junk mail, etc etc. But i must be loosing lots of willing members simply because of this problem

Every board owner should look at how to combat the problem of it being sent to junk mail.
                            Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

Check the text of the mails. Make sure it doesn't contain too many links or words that are generally used in spam messages (ie. "Click Here", "Click on Link",...)

Also make sure that the sending mail address is a real mailaddress and that a DNS-lookup of the hostname (the part after the @), will give the IP of the server the mail was sent from.

The above are some of the common things a Spam filter will look for.

This is not really a problem of vB, but more in how mail providers configure their Spam filters to "protect their members from spam".
                              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X