This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
    The only time Invision raised the prices on their registration was when ending their "special offer" on registrations, which was announced when this would happen.

You may be mistaken in that they also started to offer a lifetime registration rather than a 1 year registration. but I'm not too sure on that.
    They upped prices when they moved offices.

Dark Shogun

Comment

Jabberwocky, I'd rather you at least identified your affiliation with Invision before posting as if you are an unbiased individual willing to give impartial advice. Its taking advantage of how open our forums are.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showuser=4807
      Jabberwocky is a member of the IBPlanet Staff which is the equivalent of our hacking site vbulletin.org
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

i seriously did not want people to flame this topic.

but it happened here.
        i only wanted recommendations users reviews.
        but ..

i came over to switch to vbulletin for few reasons.

1. i have installed 30+ hacks on my board. and i am facing problems with 5 of them. i tried to post help request about it. but since a month over. but no help with that.
        official forums people. said they cannot help me with hacks. etc.
        so.. now i had to think to switch over to vbb coz, they give tech-support for hacks. via vbulletin.org

2. release dates of ipb 2.0 (which i was SERIOUSLY LOOKING TO SWITCH OVER) is somehow getting DELAYED . i am getting my licenses sponsored from someone, so waiting more, can change the minds of my SPONSORERS.

3. i checked VBB 3.0x beta releases. and they were quite heavy to load. so never thought of switching but the current RC4 releaes are very cool. and hence, i changed my mind.

4. Indian Communities have IPB and other forums. on them. but my site is the one. which will have VBULLETIN.. something different then others.

5. ALL my current IPB HACKS. are also avaiable for VBB. so i wont loose the forum feel

Now. there is just ONE MAJOR point. If I am able to covert my DATABASE from IPB to VBULLETIN. then i have to CHANGE OVER to vbulletin else WAIT N BUY IPB AGAIN

please do not flame the topic. so that mods, admins close it.
        have courtesy on new/n00b users like me.

Thnx n Regards,
        Sandy...
        TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

Apologies if I didnt make that quite Clear.

Yes, I am an Admin at IBPlanet (which I am sure I have posted somewhere else)

I am also a registered customer of Invision, and am one of the coders for their MSSQL Driver.

Again, apologies if I seem to have put across the wrong "persona"

May I say that I am not here to "slag off" vB ... I think it's a great piece of software, but my own personal preference is otherwise for certain reasons.

I'm not here to promote IPB either, though I may step in now and then as I have in this thread to point out a few common misconceptions about IPS.

The main reason I'm here is because you havea more "Techie oriented" section so to speak... as you may have seen me helping out a few people in other forums earlier.

Anyways, now thats over, regarding prices

I must admit i'm partially wrong... You were going on about Lifetime registrations and I was going on about yearly.. and I am wrong regarding the yearly, that did go up by $50. But the yearly registrations just reverted to it's original price.

Still $200 for life registration... Thayts how many years ? :P

Comment

there was never a specific release date for 2.0 set... so how are they being set back?

You could buy IPB now... and they wil perform the upgrade for you when 2.0 is released and stable. 1.3 is a good product.

On the other hand, vB seems to be getting out development releases a lot quicker, I'm not too sure on the feature additions, but amassuming there is a lot less changes being made to the main code structure (IPB have implemented a few new back-end scripts in the new release which meant major recodes).

All in all, it's really up to you, but if you want good, honest opinion of what to go for, I'd suggest going to a third party site for it

http://www.foruminsider.com/
            http://www.forum-forum.com/
            http://www.bbresource.com/

Comment

oh, and hey Scott... Haven't spoke to you in a while... I remember the good old days or IRC ... and I was wondering why you knew me

That is assuming it is you in This picture

If not, sorry - but hey - get in contact sometime - my IM details are on my profile on IBP... or do you prefer just to stick to the randomness of IRC?

Comment

Apologies if I didnt make that quite Clear.

Yes, I am an Admin at IBPlanet (which I am sure I have posted somewhere else)

I am also a registered customer of Invision, and am one of the coders for their MSSQL Driver.

Again, apologies if I seem to have put across the wrong "persona"

May I say that I am not here to "slag off" vB ... I think it's a great piece of software, but my own personal preference is otherwise for certain reasons.

I'm not here to promote IPB either, though I may step in now and then as I have in this thread to point out a few common misconceptions about IPS.

The main reason I'm here is because you havea more "Techie oriented" section so to speak... as you may have seen me helping out a few people in other forums earlier.

Anyways, now thats over, regarding prices

I must admit i'm partially wrong... You were going on about Lifetime registrations and I was going on about yearly.. and I am wrong regarding the yearly, that did go up by $50. But the yearly registrations just reverted to it's original price.

Still $200 for life registration... Thayts how many years ? :P
                Maybe you want people to use the software you helped code for bragging purposes.

Also, $160 for an owned license is also a good deal, especially if you don't intend on upgrading which I don't intend on doing after vB 3.1 comes out. That is unless vB 3.1 has all of the stock features I became accustomed to with phpBB 2.0.4 (primarily a thread marking system that works and easier administration, e.g. doing IP checks to get everything about that IP and the User doesn't require a copy and paste in phpBB, it simply requires you to click the IP link on the post) before I switched. Then I'll be more than happy to pay $30 a year.

Comment

damn.
                  /ME IS CONFUSED AGAIN
                  TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

san-deep- I would not recommend so much as you apparently have done, or want to do. If you keep chasing the "flavor of the month" you'll never be happy, and neither will your members. When you've made your decision, stick with that forum software. Unless you have a buggy product on your hands (my rationale for switching from IPB to vB), the board developers suddenly fall away and never work on their software anymore, or it is becoming hard to run your site because it is resource intensive, I would recommend against switching.
                    | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
                    |
                    Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

I'd suggest going to a third party site for it

http://www.foruminsider.com/
                      you call a forum thats gets sponsored by IBP third party?
                      Originally Posted by Zachery
                      John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
                      We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

Considering most of the chat on there is Anti-IPS, yes I do.

Comment

okay I think this topic has gone far enough and think it should be locked up. Its starting to become a flame war.
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                            okay I think this topic has gone far enough and think it should be locked up. Its starting to become a flame war.
                            Not really a flame war yet... Im sure Steve will catch it when it is

Comment

I think it has gone beyond its original intent. Before closing though, I would like to add some other sites which are not associated with either company but made up of customers of both.

www.sitepoint.com/forums/
                              www.webmaster-forums.net
                              www.theadminzone.com (please note that I am moderator on this site but am not in charge of policy and there is no policy in favor of one package or another, they all serve a purpose).
                              www.geekvillage.com/forums/

I hope this helps anyone looking to find a package to suit their needs.
                              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 5 Mar '04, 11:47am.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X