X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by san-deep
    hELLO there.
    I have currently IPB 1.3 installed on my board.
    and i have lots of hacks installed

Once i buy Vbullein 3.0 can the technical support convert my forums to vbullein 3.0 ?? without loosing any posts.
    At this time there is no vB3 import script for IPB. You would need to install vB 2.3.4, import your IPB data, then upgrade to vB3.

And although the import script does work with the default IPB 1.3, this assumes that it wasn't hacked in any way. We cannot import hacks, or database info related to these hacks.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by zfrank
      We compare stable versions of vb and invision without hacks!
      also invision support mysql3, you can activate mysql4-fulltext-search manually, mysql3 is default settings
      MySQL4 wasn't stable enough when the dreaded "feature lock" came into place for vB3, although I know for a fact that MySQL4 full-text searching is a planned feature for a future release of vB3.

Comment

Originally posted by _| () R | Z
        even vb3?
        Good question, because vB3 flies.

Comment

Originally posted by squall14716
          MySQL4 wasn't stable enough when the dreaded "feature lock" came into place for vB3, although I know for a fact that MySQL4 full-text searching is a planned feature for a future release of vB3.
          planned for a future release?
          what year? 2006?
          then we´ve mysql5
          jelsoft cannot say an release-year for vb3 ( only comming soon ), so if a new feature is planed, I think it need 1-2 years for integration.

Comment

It´s easy atm, Invision Board is better.
            current stable of vbulletin is 2.3.4 and ibp have much more features.
            Noone know release-date of vB3 ( it is now 1 year in beta-test and I think final need 2-3 month more ).
            Invision Powerforum have use mysql4-fulltextsearch ( vb2/vb3 don´t have this feature )
            What is it with people merging the definitions of Gold and Released in their minds. vBulletin 3.0.0 has already been released. Is it gold? No. Can you download it? Yes.

Originally posted by Chroder
            Hehe another one of these threads

I like vB because its easier to administrate. There's not many life-changing user-side features that either ware doesn't have, so that doesn't really bug me. But as soon as you get used to the vB3 control panel, it's outstanding -- its just so damn powerful!

I'm waiting eagerly for IPB2, though
            They are both a pain to administrate but vBulletin has more administrative features.

Comment

Look at neowin.net they just upgraded their servers,

Dual 2.8Ghz Intel Xeon Processors - from Dual 2.4Ghz Intel Xeon Processors
              3GB ECC Registered Ram - from 2GB ECC Registered Ram
              Dual 80GB SATA HDD - from Dual 75GB SCSI-3 HDD
              2000 GB Bandwidth - from 1200GB Bandwidth

They just have a little news frontend interigated into IPB and

with 465 user(s) online

-----------------------------------------------

vBulletin can easily run with a news frontend with that many users/posts/thread with a less powerful server and still run fast.

Goes to show you that IPB requires alot of server power just to run a big board.

Comment

planned for a future release?
                what year? 2006?
                then we´ve mysql5
                jelsoft cannot say an release-year for vb3 ( only comming soon ), so if a new feature is planed, I think it need 1-2 years for integration.
                Hahaha... no. I'd say with 99.999% confidence 2004. Although I'm not a developer so I don't know when they plan to add it, but I bet that it will be soon after vB3 Gold is released.

And you may say that IPB2 developement is going a lot faster than vB3's, but you know what? It wasn't a re-write. vB3 was a re-write of every single line of code.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. HillBilly
                  Look at neowin.net they just upgraded their servers,

Dual 2.8Ghz Intel Xeon Processors - from Dual 2.4Ghz Intel Xeon Processors
                  3GB ECC Registered Ram - from 2GB ECC Registered Ram
                  Dual 80GB SATA HDD - from Dual 75GB SCSI-3 HDD
                  2000 GB Bandwidth - from 1200GB Bandwidth

They just have a little news frontend interigated into IPB and

with 465 user(s) online

-----------------------------------------------

vBulletin can easily run with a news frontend with that many users/posts/thread with a less powerful server and still run fast.

Goes to show you that IPB requires alot of server power just to run a big board.
                  To be fair to Neowin, they are being blasted by script kiddies frequently and want lightning fast response times.

Originally posted by squall14716
                  Hahaha... no. I'd say with 99.999% confidence 2004. Although I'm not a developer so I don't know when they plan to add it, but I bet that it will be soon after vB3 Gold is released.

And you may say that IPB2 developement is going a lot faster than vB3's, but you know what? It wasn't a re-write. vB3 was a re-write of every single line of code.
                  Development of vBulletin 3.0.0 was poorly organized, future versions will have better organization and planning of the development.

Comment

1) I severly doubt that Neowins server upgrade was due to IPB not being able to cope... I know for a fact that IPB can cope with the same forum usage on a lower spec than that.

2) IPB's pricing is actually a lot cheaper than vB ... the "$200" registration fee is a Lifetime registration. Which entitles you to access to Tech support and new versions for life.

3) IPB Addons will work with unregistered boards, but they're cheaper if you are a registered customer :P

Just thought I'd clear up a couple of things.

Also, IPB supports mySQL 3 & 4, MSSQL, Oracle, and soon PgSQL..

May I also add though that vb is still a quality piece of software, there's no arguing that. But I feel that IPB is better.

Comment

We all have our personal preferences. Some like Invision while others like vBulletin
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I like vBulletin and hope the devs will implement the features I like to see in forum software (e.g. a thread marking system that actually works) in vBulletin 3.1.

Comment

Who cares any more! These stupid threads come out once a week. If people would just use the search feature maybe they would find this has been discussed hundreds of time. I see why IPB closes them from the get go... because they serve no puropse! If you like IPB use it. If you like vBulletin, use it instead!

Comment

Recently, just a few months ago, my boards were on Invision Board. I must admit, I had been using IPB since their first beta came out. Eventually, I got tired of the constant attempts of IPB to get more and more people to go paid. I was fixing to pay their license fee, when I saw vB3. Beautiful thing it is, I polled my members and they liked the idea. As I was getting ready to make the purchase, I saw IPB had raised their price almost $40.

I have to admit this was a pretty hefty swaying factor, AFAIK vB has not made any price changes for sometime. IPB had not released any new features and wanted $40 more.

I still had some questions about vB, so I contacted the Pre-Sales Support, and spoke with Steve who was extremely helpful in my "selection" process. Today, I'm still a proud owner of the vB Owned License, and my members have never been happier. We had one or two snags in the beginning, but with vB's excellent support, they were never an overbearing problem.

Hope this helps you, in making your decision .

Comment

The initial version of vB was sold for the same price.

Comment

The only time Invision raised the prices on their registration was when ending their "special offer" on registrations, which was announced when this would happen.

You may be mistaken in that they also started to offer a lifetime registration rather than a 1 year registration. but I'm not too sure on that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X