Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

turn down the cpu fan speed with a software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn down the cpu fan speed with a software?

hey all

Iam searching for a software to turn the speed of my cpu fan down.
    The computer is standing next to my bed and i can't sleep with my computer beeing turned on.

I have a Asrock K7VT4-4x and a no-name cooler.

Does that kind of software exist?
    That's the end of that!

You could turn off the computer

Most motherboards and processors support thermal monitoring of the CPU. Some, such as my particular Asus, have a BIOS feature that can reduce fan frequency in some thermal zones depending on the temperature (11/16 of normal speed is the slowest; it's called QFan in the BIOS). See if you have that first, although I turned it on and never notice a difference, even when gaming. Then again, my processor does not get about 40°C.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I had a stock Intel CPU cooling assembly (and still have the same in another, isolated, PC). Sorta like my own personal turbine engine. I installed the AlCu version of one of these and couldn't be more pleased with it. But with mounting hardware, it does exceed Intel's maximum cooling assembly weight spec. (Zalman does not include mounting hardware on their reference materials.

I wouldn't recommend this in a PC you tend to move around a lot. Nor would I recommend transporting the the assembly while attached to a motherboard unless the motherboard were parallel to the ground. If your CPU is less than 3GHz, then something not quite so heavy can certainly be found.
      Cygwin - all the tools to make Windows complete (cvs, vim, diff, grep, gcc, ssh, ...)

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
        You could turn off the computer
        Or move it from beside your bed.

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase
          hey all

The computer is standing next to my bed and i can't sleep with my computer beeing turned on.

I have a Asrock K7VT4-4x and a no-name cooler.

Does that kind of software exist?
          your best bet would be to get a fan with a 'volume' control on it, rather than having it software controlled.

if you think you can't sleep you should check mine, i've got 5 fans on the PSU and one of the side of my case, not to mention the one on the processor, infact from this day forth it shall be known as the fan Orchestra.

Comment

SpeedFan?

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase
              hey all

Check out the Zalman Fan Mate.

I've been considering this, but haven't yet been able to confirm the necessary min/max voltages and power requirements for my HSU/mobo.

Comment

Speedfan is the best one. There's also Fanspeed though I don't know why anyone would prefer that - I think development ceased ages ago and it was quite limited to begin with. If you've got an Aopen mobo, the software which accompanies the SilentTek BIOS is excellent. I used it until my mobo died and I replaced it with an Asus model which isn't supported by Speedfan - it seems to be one of the few that isn't

Now I have a Nexus fan controller sitting in my floppy bay, which allows me to vary all three fans in my system between 0 RPM and whatever the maximums are. It works really well but has to be tweaked manually so I wouldn't like to reduce the fan speeds too much while I'm away from my computer. Then again, if I'm not sitting by my computer there's no need to 'underclock' the fans in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker
                  Speedfan is the best one. There's also Fanspeed though I don't know why anyone would prefer that - I think development ceased ages ago and it was quite limited to begin with. If you've got an Aopen mobo, the software which accompanies the SilentTek BIOS is excellent. I used it until my mobo died and I replaced it with an Asus model which isn't supported by Speedfan - it seems to be one of the few that isn't

Now I have a Nexus fan controller sitting in my floppy bay, which allows me to vary all three fans in my system between 0 RPM and whatever the maximums are. It works really well but has to be tweaked manually so I wouldn't like to reduce the fan speeds too much while I'm away from my computer. Then again, if I'm not sitting by my computer there's no need to 'underclock' the fans in the first place.
                  thanks, that was all i ever wanted

Rapid Gaming: that would be an option
                  That's the end of that!

Comment

If they made it easy to turn down the cpu fan via code, then we'd be seeing a whole new breed of destructive viruses.
                    Well, there it is.
                    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical
                      If they made it easy to turn down the cpu fan via code, then we'd be seeing a whole new breed of destructive viruses.
                      hm you're right
                      Speedfan turns down the speed of the fan by temperature. I don't notice a difference though

my father had a virus that changed the voltage of the harddisk controller. he had a nice fire
                      That's the end of that!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X