My new toy... Dell 1801FP LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new toy... Dell 1801FP LCD

The "Show your workstation" thread got me thinking even more seriously about wanting to clean up my desk at home and improve the ergonomics, so I took the plunge and ordered a new monitor.

It's their 1801FP LCD. I have a few users on my forum who work for the local branch of Dell and they got me a killer deal on it.

I use a 1901FP at work and wanted something similar for home but couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $200 just to get one extra inch of horizontal real-estate.

The 2001FP was very tempting too since it's a 16ms 20" LCD, but they also want nearly $1000.00 (USD) for the thing and I wasn't about to blow that much on a new screen. As is, I was able to get the 1801FP for about what a good 19" CRT would have cost me.

Anyway, will post pics as soon as it comes in. They guys who helped me score it say that they've already tried Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo on these monitors and that it showed no perceivable ghosting. I'm psyched!

I'm not a huge fan of LCD's and id much rather have a CRT, but it does look nice

Comment

The 2001FP was very tempting too since it's a 16ms 20" LCD, but they also want nearly $1000.00 (USD) for the thing and I wasn't about to blow that much on a new screen. As is, I was able to get the 1801FP for about what a good 19" CRT would have cost me.
      If you really want one of these, keep an eye out for Dell's 25% off deals -- I got mine maybe 3 weeks ago for around $800 shipped.

Gotta say, it's an AMAZING monitor. I also have a 17" LCD (Samsung), and the colors on the Dell look so much more vibrant.

I haven't played too many games on it yet, but I haven't noticed any ghosting when I have. And text is crystal clear (at the native 1600x1200 of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Faranth
        I'm not a huge fan of LCD's and id much rather have a CRT, but it does look nice
        You'd rather have a big, bulky, power-hungry CRT than a slick, compact TFT? Weird...

Comment

Originally posted by Marco
          You'd rather have a big, bulky, power-hungry CRT than a slick, compact TFT? Weird...
          If your a photoshop nut or even a 3D/CAD modeler you'll prefer a CRT. I know I do along with every one here at my work (Local NBC aff.) does.
          eqinterface.com | eq2interface.com | wowinterface.com
          vginterface.com | goBerserker.com
          7 Full vBulletin Lic.

Comment

Yeap, I love my huge resultion (1600x1200) and LCD's dont do taht well unless your willing to shell out alot of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolby
              If your a photoshop nut or even a 3D/CAD modeler you'll prefer a CRT. I know I do along with every one here at my work (Local NBC aff.) does.
              I do a lot of Photoshop work and my 1901FP at the office has never let me down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten
                I do a lot of Photoshop work and my 1901FP at the office has never let me down.
                Color reproduction is generally not as good with LCDs than with CRTs. Hence most graphic designers would rather use a high quality CRT.

Now, reading oodles upon oodles of text (what I do) is a different story (IMO).

Comment

I recall reading an article at PCWorld that said that Dell's LCD monitors exceeded their specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan
                    Color reproduction is generally not as good with LCDs than with CRTs. Hence most graphic designers would rather use a high quality CRT.

True enough on the color reproduction, but I'll be keeping the Trinitron on my desk and using it as the 2nd monitor of a dual monitor setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Faranth
                      Yeap, I love my huge resultion (1600x1200) and LCD's dont do taht well unless your willing to shell out alot of cash.
                      Damnit, Windows maxes out at 1280x1024 and Linux maxes at 1400x1050 on my monitor.

Comment

That sounds like a driver issue. Try upgrading your drivers to the latest avaliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan

Thats what the ICC profiles are for

Comment

Dang...Sexy LCD... I'm tempted to go buy one now :-X

But prices have shot up about 15-30% over the last three months :-S
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Holy shnikes! Would you believe that I ordered the LCD yesterday and it arrived today via UPS ground?

I guess they shipped it from their Lebanon, TN depot rather than their Texas depot. Just a 30 minute drive from my house.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X