X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woohoo!!!

Comment

You're right, Silver...

You're right, Silver... and I completely agree with you.

Although I believe your calculations ARE off just a bit... At a retail sales price of $200 and say 100 sales a week, that comes out to sales of roughly $20,000 a week or a gross licensing revenue stream of just over $1,000,000 a year. When you add to that installation services revenues and support fees and sales from the ancillary sites, I'd guess that Jelsoft's annual revenues probably hit at least the 1.5 - 2m level. But STILL that's not exactly a huge pile of cash with which to pay staff and feed and maintain a growing hi-tech business in this day and age!

So, I strongly agree that a 48 hour outage was really NOT all that big a deal... unless you were that guy who was trying to install his copy of vBulletin or the one who had just spent his money to buy it, that is!

Besides, as the Jelsoft guys have already pointed out, this outtage ONLY affected their websites... It apparently did NOT impact their internal production operations at all. Other than the mental disturbances to the peace of mind of the progammers while they were forced to hear the screams of anguish from their web-folks, that is!

So, yeah, we got a bit of a scare out here in the field. And yes, I was just as worried as every other user was. But then it DID make many of us realize exactly how important and valuable these sites actually ARE to us now, didn't it? Under the circumstances, maybe THAT wasn't such a bad thing, after all...

Furthermore, I've spent nearly four decades as a computer pro and in my experience a 48 hour outtage is really NOT exactly a huge major catastrophe. I've worked in several MAJOR corporations where it took MUCH longer than that to recover from a major computer calamity and the IT pros in THOSE shops really SHOULD have KNOWN better!

Heck, two weeks ago, my personal LAPTOP failed and even with fairly good backups and a new machine purchased within hours, it STILL took much longer than that for me to get my personal workbench back up and running again... And even now, I'm STILL unscrambling a few directories and missing a few files that only existed on my old machine. There are NO RAID drives for laptops, I'm sorry to say!

Anyway, given the LONG delay from the hosting provider in getting them a new box to put restore their data to, I think the folks at Jelsoft did an absolutely MARVELOUS job and I'm glad to be among those who can say:

Welcome BACK guys!! Great work! And I PROMISE, I'll stop drinking now.

Best Professional Regards,
      websissy
      Last edited by websissy; Sun 22nd Feb '04, 9:03am.

Comment

Originally posted by XYPHEN
        Hackers, when will they learn?
        Wasn't it said many times that it wasn't hackers?
        Originally posted by Raz Meister
        I have a copy of SIX files which were exposed.
        Which files? Files from the main site or the forum?
        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Nice, welcome back. I was on holiday so i didn't notice this little time-out but iam glad to see you back guys
          That's the end of that!

Comment

Yeah, glad to have you back

Had some sorrows that you were DDOSed again...
            http://www.mcseboard.de/images/buttons/lastpost.gif www.MCSEboard.de
            German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

glad your sorted

is there a way for me to axx my admincp when your server is down?

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                Wasn't it said many times that it wasn't hackers?Which files? Files from the main site or the forum?
                Main site.
                Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Looks like I missed something...

Comment

Oooh well you know how nasty the code is for the main site, its not been updated in 3 years...

New code is completely different
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

The only interesting thing I saw was that PHPLive was included in every file, which was strange.

Oh and the index page can do redirects to individual threads and forums.

I'll try and find some security holes
                      Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Silver_2000
                        Great idea if you want to run solaris 2.6
                        It works just fine with Linux, either Redhat or Suse.
                        pSeriesTech.Org (vBulletin) -> Power-Systems.Org (xenForo)
                        POWER to the people

Comment

Sorry to hear about the outage. These things happen do happen and even the best precautions can't always help when you are dependent on outside firms.

It's a miracle computers work at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbes
                            Nice to see the sites up again
                            you're not related to Mark Shriber from philadelphia, are you? i work with him and he's about you age

anyway, good job on bringing the board back to life!!
                            me? :cool:

Comment

Its great to have VB back, i really needed on for something and i finnaly took it to a diff place but thank god your back
                              Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

Originally posted by websissy
                                You're right, Silver... and I completely agree with you.

Although I believe your calculations ARE off just a bit... At a retail sales price of $200 and say 100 sales a week, that comes out to sales of roughly $20,000 a week or a gross licensing revenue stream of just over $1,000,000 a year. When you add to that installation services revenues and support fees and sales from the ancillary sites, I'd guess that Jelsoft's annual revenues probably hit at least the 1.5 - 2m level. But STILL that's not exactly a huge pile of cash with which to pay staff and feed and maintain a growing hi-tech business in this day and age!

So, I strongly agree that a 48 hour outage was really NOT all that big a deal... unless you were that guy who was trying to install his copy of vBulletin or the one who had just spent his money to buy it, that is!

Besides, as the Jelsoft guys have already pointed out, this outtage ONLY affected their websites... It apparently did NOT impact their internal production operations at all. Other than the mental disturbances to the peace of mind of the progammers while they were forced to hear the screams of anguish from their web-folks, that is!

So, yeah, we got a bit of a scare out here in the field. And yes, I was just as worried as every other user was. But then it DID make many of us realize exactly how important and valuable these sites actually ARE to us now, didn't it? Under the circumstances, maybe THAT wasn't such a bad thing, after all...

Furthermore, I've spent nearly four decades as a computer pro and in my experience a 48 hour outtage is really NOT exactly a huge major catastrophe. I've worked in several MAJOR corporations where it took MUCH longer than that to recover from a major computer calamity and the IT pros in THOSE shops really SHOULD have KNOWN better!

Heck, two weeks ago, my personal LAPTOP failed and even with fairly good backups and a new machine purchased within hours, it STILL took much longer than that for me to get my personal workbench back up and running again... And even now, I'm STILL unscrambling a few directories and missing a few files that only existed on my old machine. There are NO RAID drives for laptops, I'm sorry to say!

Anyway, given the LONG delay from the hosting provider in getting them a new box to put restore their data to, I think the folks at Jelsoft did an absolutely MARVELOUS job and I'm glad to be among those who can say:

Welcome BACK guys!! Great work! And I PROMISE, I'll stop drinking now.

Best Professional Regards,
                                websissy
                                Lets use the REAL numbers NOT made up numbers...

http://www2.vbulletin.com/order/

Shows a leased license for 85 and an owned license for 160

I have no way to even guess what the ancillary income would be..
                                The install income would be a fraction of the sales income - My bet is the paid installs is less than a 1/6 of the total sales.

If the license fees were split between leased and owned licenses the revenue ouwl be less on a year to year basis cause a renewal for the owned license is less.....

If they sold 100 a week every week for 5 years that would be 25,000 licenses.. Are there 25,000 forums on the web ? How many are running paid software, how many of those are running VB software ?
                                Last edited by Silver_2000; Fri 27th Feb '04, 7:52am.
                                http://www.TALONClub.com/forum
                                http://www.prowltalk.com
                                http://www.nloc.net
                                http://www.nhtoc.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X