Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to select a moderator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to select a moderator?

I am looking for a new moderator for my forum which is growing quite quickly.
    I would love some advise on how to select the best member to be a mod on the forum.
    What Im going to do is select the 3 members out of those that apply who I think would be best, then give them all mod status for 2 weeks, the member which performs the best over the 2 weeks will then stay on as the full time moderator.

Anyone have any comments on this or anything else to add?

Thanks
    John
    John Diver

Originally posted by John Diver
    I am looking for a new moderator for my forum which is growing quite quickly.
    I would love some advise on how to select the best member to be a mod on the forum.
    What Im going to do is select the 3 members out of those that apply who I think would be best, then give them all mod status for 2 weeks, the member which performs the best over the 2 weeks will then stay on as the full time moderator.

Anyone have any comments on this or anything else to add?

Thanks
    John
    Pick someone cool. If he screws up- Demote him.

I think It's important to not give moderators the impression that one day they will be an admin. A sure fire way of doing that is by acting like your moderation agreement is a marriage.

Chill, cool, laidback: These are the one's you want. Don't take it too serious.

Comment

You need to define what you mean by which one does the best. If you have a good forum, there probably won't be too much action within two weeks.

Basically, pick someone who is very calm and collected. If they show any hints of arrogance or they tend to get into arguments or heated discussions then don't make them a moderator. Also make sure that you say up front it is "temporary" even if you think it will be permanent so that they aren't hurt if you decide to cut them.

In one forum I was a part of, several moderators were a bit to big for their britches, and thought that moderatorship meant they owned the forums. They even went so far as to decide that the logo needed a revamp, and started a contest for a new logo without even notifying the Administrator.

Comment

First, don't ask anybody to 'apply', this says (to me anyway) that you don't know what you want so far as selection goes. It should be somebody who you know will do a good job, not somebody you think could do. If you can't look around your board and pick out members yourself who have proven themselves, and then ask them to help out then there's something wrong, also don't pick anybody just for the sake of it, make sure you really need the help first. I have a forum with over 200,000 posts and to be honest, I can handle every forum and post we have by myself so I don't need moderators, but they come in handy when you want to sleep and eat toast.

Comment

Look for people who participate in your website and obviously love it. Look for those that follow the website TOS and who are great at carrying on discussions in a civil and interesting way. Someone who is devoted to the site over time...(don't pick someone who is new to your site).

Set high standards. Its harder to get rid of a bad moderator once you "hire" them and who you pick represents your website to the members.....so pick wisely.

Here's a good thread on the topic: click
          Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X