Need some admin advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some admin advice

Man I'm sick of this. One of my moderators systematically broke almost all my rules, and edited people's posts to say things like "woohoo, I'm queer". I temp banned him for two months.

Now I'm getting a bunch of complaints from my members saying I should have only banned him for a week. Some even think I shouldn't have even been so harsh as to fire him. Every time I ban someone, it's the same thing, everyone whines.

It's pointless to defend myself. No one listens at all. I can tell from the text in people's posts that they haven't read a thing I've said. I can't just ban them all to get them to shut up because then I'd have no members left.

What should I do to get people to stop complaining? I find myself letting many people go unpunished because I'm afriad of all the flaming.

Sounds like you need a rule of "No Flaming or get banned"
    I haven't even official opened my board yet but I have been an admin,mod,supermod on several boards and we would pull mod status for that kind of post.

Comment

Make a list of rules, and a list of consequences. If someone disobeys the rules then everyone knows the consequence and no one should complain, they had enough warning...

Comment

Originally posted by Kamex
        Man I'm sick of this. One of my moderators systematically broke almost all my rules, and edited people's posts to say things like "woohoo, I'm queer". I temp banned him for two months.

Now I'm getting a bunch of complaints from my members saying I should have only banned him for a week. Some even think I shouldn't have even been so harsh as to fire him. Every time I ban someone, it's the same thing, everyone whines.

It's pointless to defend myself. No one listens at all. I can tell from the text in people's posts that they haven't read a thing I've said. I can't just ban them all to get them to shut up because then I'd have no members left.

What should I do to get people to stop complaining? I find myself letting many people go unpunished because I'm afriad of all the flaming.
        I think this is where you need to exert your administrative powers and explain that it is your decision on how to punish your moderators and run your site.

Explain it is severe enough that he should be banned for the period of time you feel sufficent but not sufficent enough for grounds to fire.

However I would put emphasis to the severity of this of his statements to those who think he shouldn't be banned at all and emphasize that if he does this again, he will be fired to those who wants him again.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

actually, the best responce is silence.

Remember when fights broke out in school? Remember how everyone blew it up into this big thing? Well to users, banning is the same thing. It's the only action they see on the site.

Just let it die down- as if some mysterious force banned him.
          Last edited by Lee; Wed 18 Feb '04, 11:45pm.

Comment

Simple. You are admin. What you say, goes. thats all you have to do. the are there to mod it, you are there to RUN thw whole community.

Comment

Inform your staff that such behaviour isn't tolerated by you and will result in their mod status being revoked.

Unban the moderator and set him up as normal user. I think he abused his priveledges.

Being a member on your site, or staff even, is a priveledge, not a right.

If a user violates your forum rules, and they whine about it, just close their threads about it and let it be. The users should learn to just post about relative things rather then participate in staff stuff.

But, that is just how I think of it

Comment

Make sure your TOS are very concise and stick to them. I wouldn't unban him....If you are getting emails about him, you don't need to reply. He broke the mod rules, AND the forum rules. Allowing the "masses" to rule is not what being an admin is all about.
                Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

If someone has something to complain about I usually let them moan for a while and if I say nothing it usually dies down.

However if you want to get tough then there are other options apart from words, removing and closing threads for example.

e.g. If theres one specific person who insists on complaining publically then close is thread and invite him to talk to you via private message. If he doesn't stick to that them remove all threads about the subject. As a last resort tell the offenders (via PM again) that if they don't stick to the rules then they too will be banned.

Usually works
                  Motorsport Forums

Comment

We had a kid spam our boards roten, we took action and threads about why he was banned started being posted by members.

If someone is banned I tend no tot announce it etc even a mod (we had one banned), if my mebers post threads asking why i close them and write.

"Plz do not ask why members are banned. This decision was made in part by admins and thus if a user or the banned user wishes to discuss this matter further the admin team asks that you contact us via pm.

We maintaine the right no to disclose information when necessary."

Its not a great bit of legal writing but it works

Comment

Im saying this everytime I read one of these topics now a days. You need to relize that it is your board, you pay the bills, you do the work to keep it running. If some breaks your rules, ban them on the spot, no matter what their status is or how liked they are in the community. It's your board, run it how you please.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
                        Im saying this everytime I read one of these topics now a days. You need to relize that it is your board, you pay the bills, you do the work to keep it running. If some breaks your rules, ban them on the spot, no matter what their status is or how liked they are in the community. It's your board, run it how you please.
                        That's very true. However you have to remember it's not you who makes your board what it is, it's the members. You have to tread the line between making sure it's a good place to post, and not upsetting everyone!

Sure you could ban everyone and it would just be you posting to yourself, but theres not much point in that
                        Motorsport Forums

Comment

The way I look at it, I paid to have my own corner of the internet so if no one likes my site they don't have to visit

No really, ive banned mabey, 4 people at my own sites

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
                            The way I look at it, I paid to have my own corner of the internet so if no one likes my site they don't have to visit

No really, ive banned mabey, 4 people at my own sites
                            I've banned around 20 overall.

Comment

4 forums: 0 bans and counting.

Trust me, just ignore it. When no one is there to listen- now one is there to flame.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X