Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to restore a backup without SSH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to restore a backup without SSH?

Well, chaos broke out, let's put it at that, and now the board I admin at has an empty database (of course I saw it comming, so I got a backup from the vB3 Admin CP - 75MB and it's complete). But now I am trying to find a clever way of restoring it. I attempted a modified version of the old vB2 backup/restore hack, but it only restored about half of it. I was wondering if there are any scripts or whatever to restore a backup?

I would use phpmyadmin, then run the .sql in the sql box. either that or ctrl+a the query and run it through the box in admincp. i think that would work...

Comment

You ever tried opening a 75mb file in word, let alone copying it?

Comment

I wouldn't open a database in Word. Use Notepad or EditPlus or something.

Anyway, for a database of that size, there really is no other way aside from SSH. Or, you could also ask your host to restore it for you if you give them the file.
        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

You can use phpmyadmin from cPanel, and dump the database that way.
          Depending on how it was backed up, it might not be successful and can time out, thats why SSH is the recommended way, not to mention that the DB can become corrupted easy.
          Wont your host dump the database for you ,,if you uploaded it?

If you have any questions or need any help, PM or email me, ill be around tommorrow morning, but gone fri-sun night..

Email would get my attention much faster.
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by squall14716
            Well, chaos broke out, let's put it at that, and now the board I admin at has an empty database (of course I saw it comming, so I got a backup from the vB3 Admin CP - 75MB and it's complete). But now I am trying to find a clever way of restoring it. I attempted a modified version of the old vB2 backup/restore hack, but it only restored about half of it. I was wondering if there are any scripts or whatever to restore a backup?
            This might be worth a try:

Upload the database dump to your server via FTP

Create a PHP script with the following contents:

PHP Code:
            <?php

set_time_limit
            (0);

echo 
            '<pre>' exec("/usr/local/mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD DATABASENAME < /path/to/dumpfile.sql") . '</pre>';

echo 
            "<p>All done</p>";

?>
            It's not guaranteed to work, but it might be better than attempting to upload the file via phpMyAdmin.

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
              I wouldn't open a database in Word. Use Notepad or EditPlus or something.

Anyway, for a database of that size, there really is no other way aside from SSH. Or, you could also ask your host to restore it for you if you give them the file.
              Notepad wouldn't open a 75mb file.

Comment

I have a script I picked up along time ago that would import so much of the file, sleep for 5 seconds, then start importing again. It would do that process until the db was imported, seems safe, never failed me in situations where telnet was not avaiable.

I don't have it on this machine, but if you look around the net there are tons of scripts that do the same thing im describing.

Comment

I lied

Try this out, remember to configure it before you run it
                  Attached Files

Comment

*bookmarks this thread for my next ****age*

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X