Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with a MAC (Apple)... I need a little help

Hello all.

I have a .doc file which was created and saved on a mac (apple) H/Y and I cannot open it. It seems like it has been encoded via BinHex.

I tried to find alternative ways to open it but no result.

Could someone with an Apple machine help me with this? I guess that If I send the file to somenone with a mac and it is opened and saved as simple text (txt) or any other global format (or maybe even word for windows? ) then I would be able to open it once I receive it back.

any help would be appreciated

You could email it to anyone...have them open it up...and copy/paste into an email to you if you are only after the content. The formating will be gone.

I'm on a mac but I have microsoft office installed so I can always open docs.
    Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

There are also Word-file viewers for OS X that come in trial form. If you are running 10.3, TextPad makes an occasionally futile attempt to read Word documents.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Its not a doc file. Its an "rar" file. I tried to open it on my work PC and its not budging. Says I need the application that made it....
        Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Thanx for the replies.
          I did not create the doc.
          I have Windows, and the doc was sent to me from a guy with a Mac.

So I cannot open it.

I have uploaded the file to my server.
          Anyone who would be kind enough to help me, I could give him/her via PM the address of the doc and my email address to send it back to me

stark

p.s. I have now uploaded the original doc (unrared file)

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy
            Its not a doc file. Its an "rar" file. I tried to open it on my work PC and its not budging. Says I need the application that made it....
            WinRAR (superior to WinZip, BTW).
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

To clarify and give some more details about my prob.

Each time I open the .doc I get something like this :

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
              :$f*TEQKPH#jdCA0d,R0TG!"6594%8dP8)3#3"!&m!*!%EMa6593K!!%!!!&mFNa
              KG3,r!*!$&[rr$3d,BQPZD'9i,R4PFh3!RQ+!!"AV#J#[email protected]!#3'[q

Here is some info I found about such files:

BinHex encoding converts an 8-bit file into a 7-bit format, similar to uuencoding. BinHex format preserves file attributes, as well as Macintosh resource forks, and includes CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error-checking. This encoding method works on any type of file, including formatted word processing and spreadsheet files, graphics files, and even executable files (i.e. programs or applications). The encoded file can also be passed from computer to computer in its encoded form. The encoding will remain intact and it will be equally meaningless on all the machines until it is unencoded. To be usable or readable it must be converted back to its original format and be run on a compatible computer.

Note: This is not to be confused with MacBinary encoding, which is an 8-bit format.
              (By the way, the MIME type Base64 is a 6-bit format! Isn't math fun?)

What it looks like
              Here is a sample of what BinHex actually looks like:

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
              :$f*TEQKPH#jdCA0d,R0TG!"6594%8dP8)3#3"!&m!*!%EMa6593K!!%!!!&mFNa
              KG3,r!*!$&[rr$3d,BQPZD'9i,R4PFh3!RQ+!!"AV#J#[email protected]!#3'[q
              3"&4&@&483N)f!3#Xaj6bV-H8mJ!!!B3!N!0"!*!$[3#[email protected])!*!'[I%4!!J
              Fp$X%[email protected]!mZE6!GRiKUi$HGKMf0U61S46%i1"AB!TI,fLl!d1X3RDDE8ALfTCbM
              [email protected]`rbj2Ti'[email protected]@+[fr-i4T6-qXpfl26,k!H5$Nml
              TIkI'(l3GI4)f8mII&[email protected]$G8!Z6"k)hh,q9p"r6FC*!!Se"
              (ic,Pd(4(b`pflKC`H1&JN5)GVX3mREdH55[l`%`Yhp%q092c`A(hPV)!83Dr&f4
              $$L#I1aM-"VjqV-q$34KQq6$M$f8#,Zc,i),!(`*ZN!$K$rS!LA%3cL+dYi"@,K(
              Z"`#3!fKi!!!:

Note that all lines other than the header and the last line are exactly 64 characters long (not counting the newline characters). If you receive a file in email containing lines of varying lengths, then someone's mail system may have damaged the file and you'll probably need to have it resent.

The line "(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)" is an integral part of the file format; in fact, if it is missing or even altered in any way, the file may not get recognized as binhex by a decoder program (not a problem for StuffIt Expander, though). Note also that this does not mean you need a program called "BinHex 4.0" to decode a BinHex file; there are several utilities which can do the trick, the most popular of which are listed on this very page (the page you are reading right now).

http://www.natural-innovations.com/binhex/

Anyway, I tried searching for the utilities suggested there (to decode the file), but I found only one of them and it did not do the job.

Comment

thanx everyone for the help
                I finally found a utility and managed to decode the file

stark

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X