Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred
    replied
    I would say the greatest expense is hosting. You can pay it off by running advertisements through 3rd party companies, or direct companies advertising with you. Aswell, you can offer merchandise with your little logo to bring in a few bucks aswell.

Leave a comment:

• Kathy
    replied
    My biggest expense: Bandwidth...after my server is paid for. Major problems? For me its been having to stay ahead of the hardware/connection needs of my site as its grown. While I started out on free space and free ezboard (back in 1998-1999) the traffic quickly became an issue so that I was asked to leave or choked off shared hosting plans during 2000 several times. By 2001 we purchased our own server (its called co-location or dedicated hosting for leased options) and then purchased another in the fall of 2003.

I pay more for the bills on my site than I pay for my lovely home mortgage, utilities, and taxes.....

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Lee
    But bandwith is... what? That's not the connection speed- but how many packets are sent, right? Surely it can't be that expensive?
    Bandwidth can be the number one expense for a large successful site. 1 Gigabyte of data sent over the Internet can cost as much as $3.00 - $5.00 after your initial allotment. If you have 300 people viewing an average of 20 pages per day and each page is 100 KB in size, that alone is 600 Megabytes of bandwidth a day. When you have a site like Deviantart or MP3.com, and you have 10,000 people viewing those pages, it is 20 Gigabytes of bandwidth per day.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by JustAskJulie
    Do you already have a communitee built with that traffic that you will be adding a forum to? If so then you can help offset the costs a lot with advertising. Your biggest financial hit is going to come with hosting/bandwidth....
    *snip*

No I don't:
    I'm mostly a business man. I do advertising and sales. However, I taught myself html, and quickly was a natural at photoshop.

But bandwith is... what? That's not the connection speed- but how many packets are sent, right? Surely it can't be that expensive?

Say I wanted to start a site like MP3.com or Deviantart or somthing: What would you estimate that would cost? How much would it cost you?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Lee
    1) Who's the leader in forums? preferedvB? eZboard?
    http://www.big-boards.com/statistics/

Leave a comment:

• JustAskJulie
    replied
    Do you already have a communitee built with that traffic that you will be adding a forum to? If so then you can help offset the costs a lot with advertising. Your biggest financial hit is going to come with hosting/bandwidth and that's going to come every month and grow as your site does. Your biggest time hit will come early on with setting the site up and making it grow.

As far what software is best, I think most anyone here will tell you VBulletin, you're asking on a Vbulletin site (if you asked on an ezboard site they'd probably say Ezboard).

Problems? That depends a lot on your knowledge base. If you have a clue (in respect to running a website in general) your problems will be minimal. The hardest thing early on is getting people posting. Once you get the posting and you get a large user base then you will deal with spammers and flamers and all sorts of other creatures and moderating nightmares. At which time you might want to think about adding more moderators to help you out... but even that can be a problem as your mods might not have the same vision as you do for how the board should be controlled.

Beyond that problems are going to vary a lot just depending on what the subject matter of your board is and how you have it set up, what the age group of the people you are targeting is, etc.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Simple Questions:

Simple Questions:

Once again, I'm very new- Bear with me. These questions are partaining to a fully functional community of aprox. 10,000 users:

1) Who's the leader in forums? preferedvB? eZboard?
    2) What's the biggest financial cost an owner can look forward to?
    3) What major problems can you expect?