Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuart
    replied
    It was either going to be that, or somone correcting me on a terminology I used incorrectly

Leave a comment:

• Mijae
    replied
    Originally posted by InSite
    What is the internet?
    Classic.

Leave a comment:

• InSite
    replied
    Originally posted by Stuart
    Lag is just when the internet
    What is the internet?

Leave a comment:

• Stuart
    replied
    Lag is just when the internet (or internet connection gets slow). It can happen for a number of reasons. One of these is through a DDoS attack. This is when the group/person sends data to your computer asking for a reply. This is done either from an extremely fast connection (which therefore overloads your slower one), or it is done from multiple connections (i.e. lots of computers on different connections directed at your one computer).

Lag is the term used to describe the connection (or the amount of time it takes for packets to arrive at your computer) state. If it's lagging, then the "packets*" take longer to arrive.

*Packets are simply bundles of data that are transferred from server > computer and back again.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What is "Lag" and how do you stop it?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    DDos = Distributed Denial of Service attack.

Its where a person or group of users "lag" a website / server / datacenter to death. Making it unreachable.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    DDoSosed? what's that?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Only in the 2.x serries, 3.0 wont do that.

Leave a comment:

• CeleronXT
    replied
    Originally posted by Faranth
    No, powered by vBulletin means just that, its powered by the software. vBulletin.com's servers status have no effect on your Forum.
    Unless vbulletin.com is getting DDoSed and your admin CP times out. :P

Never happens to me, but I hear that happens for IE users. O_o

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Chroder
    Syntax-like I'd say it has more in common with C++ then ASP.
    This is the idea I was trying to get across. Really doesn't matter if it is compiled or interpreted. The style of the language is determined by its syntax.

Leave a comment:

• Chroder
    replied
    Syntax-like I'd say it has more in common with C++ then ASP.

Leave a comment:

• iDavid
    replied
    Doesn't change the fact that PHP has more in common with C than it does with HTML...

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    vBulletin is actually written in a language called PHP which has more in common to C++ than it does to HTML. The output of those PHP scripts is expressed as HTML.

There is nothing stopping you from learning PHP and writing your own forum system, however keep in mind the cost of doing so. If your time is worth $10.00/hour then you could easily spend thousands of dollars writing a similar system. In fact one of our corporate customers costed out a custom forum solution using in-house programmers and decided to save the company over $90,000 dollars by purchasing vBulletin and modifying it to access their proprietary systems then creating a completely custom solution.
    Actually, PHP has more in common with ASP or perhaps javascript than it does C++ as C++ is a compiled object oriented language while PHP is a interpeted scripting language.

Leave a comment:

• assassingod
    replied
    You're vBulletin (if you decide to purchase) is run on your own server.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    No, powered by vBulletin means just that, its powered by the software. vBulletin.com's servers status have no effect on your Forum.

Leave a comment: