It's Just HTML, Isn't It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Just HTML, Isn't It?

I'm just curious- I'm very new and I don't know alot. I've been a vB user, but I've never owned one:
    vB is just basically all HTML, right? What I'm asking is: Why can't I make my own vB-Type forum?

What's the difference between vB and an HTML coded forum? Because I seriously don't understand. (English please.)

vBulletin is powered by PHP (Dynamic Server Side scripting language) and MySQL (Database program to store info)

vBulletin exports all its data in HTML formatt. but Its not html.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
      I'm just curious- I'm very new and I don't know alot. I've been a vB user, but I've never owned one:
      vB is just basically all HTML, right? What I'm asking is: Why can't I make my own vB-Type forum?

What's the difference between vB and an HTML coded forum? Because I seriously don't understand. (English please.)
      vBulletin is actually written in a language called PHP which has more in common to C++ than it does to HTML. The output of those PHP scripts is expressed as HTML.

There is nothing stopping you from learning PHP and writing your own forum system, however keep in mind the cost of doing so. If your time is worth $10.00/hour then you could easily spend thousands of dollars writing a similar system. In fact one of our corporate customers costed out a custom forum solution using in-house programmers and decided to save the company over $90,000 dollars by purchasing vBulletin and modifying it to access their proprietary systems then creating a completely custom solution.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

What does it mean at the bottom of a forum when it says: "Powered by vBulletin"?

Does that mean whenever you execute a command it goes to homebase first before your site?

I guess what I'm asking is if it stands alone: If vB's servers just up and shut down for whatever reason, would your vB shut down as well?

Comment

No, powered by vBulletin means just that, its powered by the software. vBulletin.com's servers status have no effect on your Forum.

Comment

You're vBulletin (if you decide to purchase) is run on your own server.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              vBulletin is actually written in a language called PHP which has more in common to C++ than it does to HTML. The output of those PHP scripts is expressed as HTML.

There is nothing stopping you from learning PHP and writing your own forum system, however keep in mind the cost of doing so. If your time is worth $10.00/hour then you could easily spend thousands of dollars writing a similar system. In fact one of our corporate customers costed out a custom forum solution using in-house programmers and decided to save the company over $90,000 dollars by purchasing vBulletin and modifying it to access their proprietary systems then creating a completely custom solution.
              Actually, PHP has more in common with ASP or perhaps javascript than it does C++ as C++ is a compiled object oriented language while PHP is a interpeted scripting language.

Comment

Doesn't change the fact that PHP has more in common with C than it does with HTML...

Comment

Syntax-like I'd say it has more in common with C++ then ASP.

Comment

Originally posted by Chroder
                    Syntax-like I'd say it has more in common with C++ then ASP.
                    This is the idea I was trying to get across. Really doesn't matter if it is compiled or interpreted. The style of the language is determined by its syntax.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Faranth
                      No, powered by vBulletin means just that, its powered by the software. vBulletin.com's servers status have no effect on your Forum.
                      Unless vbulletin.com is getting DDoSed and your admin CP times out. :P

Never happens to me, but I hear that happens for IE users. O_o
                      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Only in the 2.x serries, 3.0 wont do that.

Comment

DDoSosed? what's that?

Comment

DDos = Distributed Denial of Service attack.

Its where a person or group of users "lag" a website / server / datacenter to death. Making it unreachable.

Comment

What is "Lag" and how do you stop it?

Comment