FBI on Windows source code case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI on Windows source code case

An FBI task force hunted for a cyber-criminal who posted on the Internet source code for Windows. In jeopardy is Microsoft’s near-monopoly on operating systems found on 90 per cent of the world’s personal computers.
    “I can confirm that” the North-west Cybercrime Task Force was investigating, FBI spokeswoman Robbie Burroughs told AFP yesterday.

“Microsoft source code is both copyrighted and protected as a trade secret,” the company said in a statement posted on its website yesterday. “As such, it is illegal to post it, make it available to others, download it or use it.
    The posted program is part of the source codes, or blueprints, for Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0, according to the company. Counterfeiters have been trying to get their hands on Windows source code for years.
    Good grief...and I don't see them doing anything when vB was under DDoS..
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Well, James and John aren't quite a rich as Bill Gates now are they?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

And 90% of worlwide PC users don't use Windows, therefore making it a huge security risk

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        Good grief...and I don't see them doing anything when vB was under DDoS..
        Maybe because they were using tip forms to contact the FBI while Microsoft used the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
          Maybe because they were using tip forms to contact the FBI while Microsoft used the phone.
          Jelsoft did make phone calls. They were just never returned.
          - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z
            Jelsoft did make phone calls. They were just never returned.
            That's true. I specifically picked up the phone and called the FBI myself.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
              Actually, numerous phone calls were made to multiple offices.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Actually, numerous phone calls were made to multiple offices.
                Did you get a live person? Did you try going to the office in person? Do you live in the US?

Comment

Yes, I spoke to a 'live' person and live in the U.S. Why?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    They don't like the british
                    Attached Files

Comment

I was looking into internet crime today, and it appears that the United States Secret Service handles this, more than the FBI... I stumbled upon this page: http://www.secretservice.gov/net_intrusion_forms.shtml
                      Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        Did you mention the guy was in Saudi Arabia? The FBI only handles (or is supposed to) internal affairs. If they know the guy is in Saudi Arabia off the bat, they aren't going to do anything. The CIA on the other hand handles external affairs and they would investigate if you said the guy was in Saudi Arabia.

Originally posted by Mr. HillBilly
                        They don't like the british
                        Scottland Yard helps people who live in England.

Comment

That's becase Scotland Yard IS in England.
                          Last edited by assassingod; Tue 17 Feb '04, 4:38am.

Comment

To answer the above comments:

1. I am not British.
                            2. Yes, I told the FBI where the attacker was from.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

That is probably why they didn't help you. It is similiar to asking for Invision support on the vBulletin support forums.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X