• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Before this devolves into actual attacks and since nothing constructive is getting done in this thread, I am going to close it.

Maybe one day, people will be able to talk about the merits of software without relegating the thread to mudslinging and a "he said/he said" contest.

Leave a comment:

• dopi

• dopi
    replied
    Originally posted by dynamite
    Take a look at this... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51821
    This is the first announcement of the public beta from August 5, 2002. By my calculations, this would put it at 1 year 6 months and 13 days, which I do believe would qualify for "over a year". Basically we have been testing it for Jelsoft since then.
    Oh you are a smarty pants! But as this post indicates, VB3 started being used as the main board on the 11th June 2003. Need I say anymore? Anyway Im not here to nit pick.

IPB is developed faster, fact. The reason as far as I can see as to why it is being used as a main board already is because it is very stable. Also I'm sure most would agree that the more people using it, the better the test.

Leave a comment:

• dynamite

• dynamite
    replied
    Originally posted by dopi
    Anyway, how could the VB3 board have been tested over a year before when it was hardly started?
    Take a look at this... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51821
    This is the first announcement of the public beta from August 5, 2002. By my calculations, this would put it at 1 year 6 months and 13 days, which I do believe would qualify for "over a year". Basically we have been testing it for Jelsoft since then.

Leave a comment:

• dopi

• dopi
    replied
    Originally posted by _| () R | Z
    1. they are still in alpha fase means that they arent even in beta or RC stage.

2.- yeah vb tested its board over a year before moving it to here. maybe ipb should have done the same, getting lots of:
    Well done! Alpha phase does mean that they are not in beta or RC. But if things move at the pace they usually do over there, it will not be long till they have an RC out.

Lots of errors? I haven't seen one for any of the features I use often. There are likely to be a couple of errors because it is an alpha board. But none the less, an alpha board that seems to be much closer to completion than VB3 was when it was in alpha. Anyway, how could the VB3 board have been tested over a year before when it was hardly started?

Leave a comment:

• _| () R | Z

• _| () R | Z
    replied
    Originally posted by dopi
    Except all the features mentioned "TO BE INCLUDED" are included in the alpha.

The development cycle at IPS is a whole lot faster than here. VB3 was under development for at least a year before it was used as the main board. IPB 2 is already being used. It would not surprise me at all if IPB 2 was released before VB3.
    1. they are still in alpha fase means that they arent even in beta or RC stage.

2.- yeah vb tested its board over a year before moving it to here. maybe ipb should have done the same, getting lots of:

There appears to be an error with the Invision Power Services database.
    You can try to refresh the page by clicking here, if this does not fix the error, you can contact the board administrator by clicking here

Error Returned

Leave a comment:

• dopi

• dopi
    replied
    Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
    Several features in vBulletin 3.0.0 were pushed back to 3.1. If Jelsoft did it, IPS could too.
    Except all the features mentioned "TO BE INCLUDED" are included in the alpha.

The development cycle at IPS is a whole lot faster than here. VB3 was under development for at least a year before it was used as the main board. IPB 2 is already being used. It would not surprise me at all if IPB 2 was released before VB3.

To me it seems like everyone is playing catch up with jelsoft, and have been doing so scence they hit the scence a few years back.
    Don't think it will be long till jelsoft are playing catch up.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Several features in vBulletin 3.0.0 were pushed back to 3.1. If Jelsoft did it, IPS could too.

Leave a comment:

• iDavid

• iDavid
    replied
    Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
    IPB is Alpha at the moment, correct? Does that not mean that the features that are to be included are not in any IPBs outside of IPS at the moment while the features in vBulletin are on tens if not hundreds of thousands of forums now? We can say that any feature under the sun will be in vBulletin one day but if it isn't there and is in the competition's software then there wouldn't be much to brag about like in the case of IPB 2.0.
    The vast majority, if not all, of the features next to which I wrote "TO BE INCLUDED" are in IPB 2.0. All of them, reportedly, will be in the final version.

Leave a comment:

• SilentBlade

• SilentBlade
    replied
    Another thing is, people seem to be attracted to vBulletins. I never got any members on my invision boards, but I get plenty on vbulletin ^.^

Leave a comment:

• iDavid

• iDavid
    replied
    Originally posted by squall14716
    Heh, that's a laugh. vB3 is at RC4, I doubt gold will be out any later than by the end of the month, of course I could be wrong.
    Many people said vB3 would beat IPB 1.1 to market...

Then 1.2... Then 1.3...

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Heh, that's a laugh. vB3 is at RC4, I doubt gold will be out any later than by the end of the month, of course I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Nemon

• Nemon
    replied
    Should really only compare gold releases...

IPB 1.3 and vB 2.3.0 are about par i think with regards to features.

vB3 and IPB2 might be gold about same time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    To me it seems like everyone is playing catch up with jelsoft, and have been doing so scence they hit the scence a few years back. Honestly, vBulletin will get 5 new things added to the source, then people will request them for the board softwares they use and about a month after jelsoft introduced it a free board has got it.

Most of the new things they introduced in ibp 2.0 have been in vB 3 for over a year now. At any rate im still looking at 2.0 for a second site I have planned, but until I have it on a test server I will not know if im going to use it for buy anthor vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• Chroder

• Chroder
    replied
    I think they're just stirring up arguments, I saw a thread exactly like this one at the IPB forums.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    I get the feeling that no matter what we say, the starter of this thread will still like IPB over vB because of personal preference. We are just blowing a bunch of hot air.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X