X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is one reason why vB is better.

Comment

I have been using IPB for a few side boards of mine since vBulletin licenses are expensive and I have to get a owned license to replace my leased license soon. I think the presentation of the features in IBP is great.

However, I find that vBulletin has many many more features (a short list I posted earlier in the threads). Therefore I think is vBulletin better and using it for my main forums rather than IPB.

Comment

IPB has Subscriptions.

And IPB only puts in useful features.

QUOTE:
        Some features I noticed that vBulletin 3.0.0 has and Invision Power Board 1.3 doesn't have are:
        Subscriptions - Yes is does
        Similar Threads - There is NO need for this. Why would you need it?
        Scheduled Tasks - If you mean for Admins, I think 2.0 has this.
        A Scheduled Log - ^^
        Speration of User Titles and Ranks - hmm...interesting.
        Template conditionals - no idea what this means, and no one else would.
        Access Masks - ditto
        An FAQ and Manager - you could make one if you wanted to...
        Anouncements, Global Anouncements and Announcement Manager - USELESS
        Super Administrators and Administrator Permissions - I don't see the point of this.
        Custom User Profile Fields - I believe they do have this actually.
        User Reputations - like a warning system? they have that, but members can't see them. Just admins (unless you change the settings)
        Custom BBCodes - IPB 2.0
        Loads of Update Counters Options - uh...what?
        Merge Users - I see no point.
        Referrals - There's modifications for this
        And much much more - LOL

IPB does the basic features and the importand useful features. And whatever features are left, they allow people to make mods for. Why make a feature that only 367 people are going to use, when you could leave it as a mod and save other people's time turning it off? There's just no point to have a referral system if only so many people will use it.

Oh, and there's another thing that really bugs me. This posting screen. They make it all fancy with nice dropdown things and hover stuff which just slows it down. And no, I don't have dial-up. I have hi-speed. Why waste time making things fancy, when all you need are the basics? You just need buttons and clickable emoticons. And they make it so when you click an emoticon, it appears as an image, not code. Awww...how cute. NOT. It just makes the page even longer to load!

Anyway, so far I'm not convinced.

Comment

You don't need to be convinced. You've already convinced yourself of what you like.
          It seems to me that you came here for you-know-what.

Comment

Originally posted by Cee-estee
            Oh, and there's another thing that really bugs me. This posting screen. They make it all fancy with nice dropdown things and hover stuff which just slows it down. And no, I don't have dial-up. I have hi-speed. Why waste time making things fancy, when all you need are the basics? You just need buttons and clickable emoticons. And they make it so when you click an emoticon, it appears as an image, not code. Awww...how cute. NOT. It just makes the page even longer to load!
            You can turn that off here, btw

As for "unneeded features" you mentioned, I could personally find a use for most of those. The rest I could probably turn off, so no love lost there

Comment

My friend wanted me to come here to post a topic to try and convince me that vB is better. So here I am.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMac
                You can turn that off here, btw

As for "unneeded features" you mentioned, I could personally find a use for most of those. The rest I could probably turn off, so no love lost there
                Why waste your time?

Comment

Subscriptions - Yes is does
                  Doesn't it also cost extra?
                  Similar Threads - There is NO need for this. Why would you need it?
                  It shows threads that are similar to the one you are in. Helps if someone asks a common question.
                  Scheduled Tasks - If you mean for Admins, I think 2.0 has this.
                  A Scheduled Log - ^^
                  It's a cron-like system, makes things a lot easier to schedule when pruning, etc. takes place.
                  Access Masks - ditto
                  Template conditionals? A conditional statement in templates, such as <if condition="$show['reputation']">Reputation code here.</if> Pretty simple.
                  Access Masks - allow or deny a specific user from a specific forum.
                  An FAQ and Manager - you could make one if you wanted to...
                  Yeah, but that's the entire point.
                  Anouncements, Global Anouncements and Announcement Manager - USELESS
                  Hahahaha.... no.
                  Super Administrators and Administrator Permissions - I don't see the point of this.
                  Well, then you're not thinking hard enough. Are you telling me you trust every admin at your board with things like editing users and pruning posts?
                  User Reputations - like a warning system? they have that, but members can't see them. Just admins (unless you change the settings)
                  It's like a Karma system - I believe this one was requested quite a lot.
                  Loads of Update Counters Options - uh...what?
                  Update post counts, forum info, thread info, etc.
                  Merge Users - I see no point.
                  I think everyone knows that a lot of times users make multiple accounts.
                  Referrals - There's modifications for this
                  That's the point.

Why make a feature that only 367 people are going to use, when you could leave it as a mod and save other people's time turning it off? There's just no point to have a referral system if only so many people will use it.
                  Not everyone is going to use PM's, should we as Jelsoft to remove that feature? Most of the "not-so-used" features are off by default anyways, and a lot of people who want these features do not want to spend hours upgrading their board and they don't want to lose official support because they made 5 billion PHP code modifications. And a lot other features can be hacked into vB as well.

Comment

My friend wanted me to come here to post a topic to try and convince me that vB is better. So here I am.
                    And thats why there's a thread exactly like this at IPB forums with the words "vB" replaced with "IPB" and vise-versa.

Access Masks - ditto
                    You won't like IPB for long then, IPB2 utilized both AFAIK.

And thats it for me. You seem to have made up your mind, no use in continue to argue with a person that has their mind set on something. Different software is better for different things, I think vB is ideal for larger boards where you need absolute control. IPB is good for the kids that can't afford vB or a community that doesn't need all the gadgets.

Comment

Many of the “I see no point” features come in handy when you have a large community.

Comment

squall14716, thanks for saying everything I was going to say, you saved me a ton of typing.

Cee-estee, since you are here for the sole purpose of being a pain in the neck rather than hear why people say vBulletin is #1, I see no reason to reply to this thread as it is pointless.

Comment

you have to hard code everything in IPB and you dont in vB.

Comment

^ ^ has got a good point

If he's here to Disclaim VB in a IS VB better thread than just stick with what youve got. VB is good.. no its Great, but if you dont think so then why ask
                            Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

i've used phpBB and IPB.

The thing that made me buy vB is when i downloaded a pirated version. i saw how great it was and felt an obligation to pay. that's just how good it was, i had a free vB in my face but i still felt i needed to pay for such great software.

Comment

IPB 2.0 has some really nice features, really nice.

However vB has alot of vvery usefully, professional features too... ATM both have advantages over each other imho.

I would like the permisions system in vB3 to be simplified, i just feel in IPB more confident of who can see what than in vB3.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X