X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    RE: google toolbar

I tried this out, only because i only use google to search and noticed it blocks popups.

I must admit, it works great.
    Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Wed 18 Feb '04, 3:43pm.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by welo
    Those are the three most notable finds when you Google for discussions on this anyway. I ran across any dozens of chick blogs with entries along the lines of "Google hearts are soooo CUTE!" I'm soooo glad they think so, while standing my ground against anyone who thinks it's just fine for Google to use their software to feed content to everyone's computer without permission or warning.
    When you install the Google Toolbar, it specifically states that if you enable the advanced features that information will be sent to and from Google to your toolbar installation. In order for the advanced features to work, you have to explicitly agree to this condition by clicking on a button.

Through this explicit act, you give permission for this communication back and forth. Sorry if you think that this is a violation of your rights but you agreed to it upon installation. If you no longer want this kind of implementation turn off the advanced features and/or uninstall the toolbar. It is as simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• CeleronXT
    replied
    // Enable pipelining:
    user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
    user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);
    user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 100);

Placing these in your user.js file will enable pipelining, furthing speeding things up.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by MasterMac
    Glad it worked
    Thanks, i didnt realise it would improve the speed quite this much.

Leave a comment:

• MasterMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy Kane
    Ahhh, Thank you for your help, ill give it a shot now.

Edit: F ME! that has speeded it up a lot!
    Glad it worked

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Kane
    replied
    Right click anywhere in the about:config area, select New-->Integer. For the preference name, put "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" (w/o quotes). For the value, put 0

That should do it
    Ahhh, Thank you for your help, ill give it a shot now.

Edit: F ME! that has speeded it up a lot!

Leave a comment:

• MasterMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy Kane
    I cant seem to fid that, im using the latest nightly build of FireFox, maybe that is why :S
    Right click anywhere in the about:config area, select New-->Integer. For the preference name, put "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" (w/o quotes). For the value, put 0

That should do it

Leave a comment:

• noppid
    replied
    Originally posted by welo
    I'm soooo glad they think so, while standing my ground against anyone who thinks it's just fine for Google to use their software to feed content to everyone's computer without permission or warning.
    You can un-install it. Nothing is "free".

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Kane
    replied
    In Firebird, type "about:config" in the URL bar (without the quotes though )

Where you see "Filter", put nglayout.initialpaint.delay

Then just double click on the result that comes up and put 0 in

Edit; bug? With the about config thing there's not supposed to be an underscore... but for some reason it's showing up in the post
    I cant seem to fid that, im using the latest nightly build of FireFox, maybe that is why :S

Leave a comment:

• c0bra
    replied
    In Firebird, type "about_:config" in the URL bar (without the quotes though )

Edit; bug? With the about config thing there's not supposed to be an underscore... but for some reason it's showing up in the post
    Thanks mate. I can feel the power!

Leave a comment:

• MasterMac
    replied
    Originally posted by c0bra
    How do you do this?
    In Firebird, type "about:config" in the URL bar (without the quotes though )

Leave a comment:

• c0bra
    replied
    Originally posted by CeleronXT
    Unless you have nglayout.initialpaint.delay=0 and pipelining turned on, you won't really feel the full power of Firefox's speed.
    How do you do this?

Leave a comment:

• welo
    replied
    Cripes. I never knew I was gonna be opening up such a can of worms with this topic. Guess what though? We're not alone:

One of the more interesting replies at the BroadbandReports.com forum says:

There seems to be something real fishy about the new Google Toolbar with the VD theme. Mine did not change so I went and downloaded the new one because I thought it was cute.

Problems began after I installed it. My internet connection was just fine UNTIL I rebooted. I could not get on the internet after that. I kept getting a message that it couldn't find the server. If I clicked on my OE I could connect. If I went to my network connections and clicked on my normal connection I could connect.

I did a System Restore, and it took me back to the old Google version 2.0.106. I was able to connect with no problem the way I normally do by clicking on Internet Explorer. I'm sticking with my old version.
    Continuing on...

* Most people at WebmasterWorld poo-pooed the security and privacy risk, but at least a couple of people get it.
    * At least one person here gets it

Those are the three most notable finds when you Google for discussions on this anyway. I ran across any dozens of chick blogs with entries along the lines of "Google hearts are soooo CUTE!" I'm soooo glad they think so, while standing my ground against anyone who thinks it's just fine for Google to use their software to feed content to everyone's computer without permission or warning.

Leave a comment:

• CeleronXT
    replied
    The hearts are so out of place, however, that it throws off the rest of the toolbars, which are heart-less or otherwise undecorated.

Leave a comment:

• The Quibbler
    replied
    I don't see what's wrong with Google putting little things like that in their toolbar for different holidays; it makes it fun. I tend to agree with those who say it's cute - but even for everyone else, can't you live with the little image for a few days? It's not that big of a deal.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X