Google hearts on my toolbar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CeleronXT
    The argument isn't that they don't have the right to change it, the argument is that the change is stupid.
    Doh

I kinda liked it. Reminds me want I want to give my GF. A heart.
    Shane
    CIO, FrakMedia.net
    Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

Tabbed browsing has made me far more efficient online. Checking all of the forums I attend and all the sites I want to read every day used to be about a 40 minute ordeal. Tabbed browsing has allowed me to cut it down to literally about 15-20 minutes. It takes some getting used to when you start, but once you get used to it almost everyone loves it.
      I'm not quite sure how I can understand that. I mean, what's the difference between selecting a tab at the top of your screen (in FireFox) vs. clicking a IE window from your taskbar?

Comment

Originally posted by DWZ
        I'm not quite sure how I can understand that. I mean, what's the difference between selecting a tab at the top of your screen (in FireFox) vs. clicking a IE window from your taskbar?
        1. Saves on RAM

2. Not cluttered in with all your other open apps and/or documents that might also be in the taskbar

3. Other advantages to tabs like "Close all other tabs", "Reload all tabs" etc (more if you have tabbed browsing extensions installed)

Comment

Originally posted by DWZ
          Well I have a bookmark folder called "Startup" which I simply middle click when I first start the browser, which instantly opens all the forums, forum categories, and sites I regularly attend in tabs and I then go through each forum and open each thread in a new tab, and then I go back and blow through each thread.
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

I'd steer clear of that, it isn't on microsoft's website, chances are it is a virus.

Edit: It seems someone deleted the post I replied to. If the poster did it, then I must have been right. If a staff member did it, thank for keeping that virus off people's computers.
            Last edited by Shining Arcanine; Sun 15 Feb '04, 3:04pm.

Comment

Originally posted by DWZ
              Its amazing for forums. I do a search for new posts, ctrl click on the threads i want, and each thread loads in a new tab in the background. Once I have selected all my threads, I read each tab and close it when I am done.

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima
                Its amazing for forums. I do a search for new posts, ctrl click on the threads i want, and each thread loads in a new tab in the background. Once I have selected all my threads, I read each tab and close it when I am done.
                Yeah, I love doing that. Except during that short time on these forums where 90% of them would give me a 404

Comment

I don't see what's wrong with Google putting little things like that in their toolbar for different holidays; it makes it fun. I tend to agree with those who say it's cute - but even for everyone else, can't you live with the little image for a few days? It's not that big of a deal.

Comment

The hearts are so out of place, however, that it throws off the rest of the toolbars, which are heart-less or otherwise undecorated.
                    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Cripes. I never knew I was gonna be opening up such a can of worms with this topic. Guess what though? We're not alone:

One of the more interesting replies at the BroadbandReports.com forum says:

There seems to be something real fishy about the new Google Toolbar with the VD theme. Mine did not change so I went and downloaded the new one because I thought it was cute.

Problems began after I installed it. My internet connection was just fine UNTIL I rebooted. I could not get on the internet after that. I kept getting a message that it couldn't find the server. If I clicked on my OE I could connect. If I went to my network connections and clicked on my normal connection I could connect.

I did a System Restore, and it took me back to the old Google version 2.0.106. I was able to connect with no problem the way I normally do by clicking on Internet Explorer. I'm sticking with my old version.
                      Continuing on...

* Most people at WebmasterWorld poo-pooed the security and privacy risk, but at least a couple of people get it.
                      * At least one person here gets it

Those are the three most notable finds when you Google for discussions on this anyway. I ran across any dozens of chick blogs with entries along the lines of "Google hearts are soooo CUTE!" I'm soooo glad they think so, while standing my ground against anyone who thinks it's just fine for Google to use their software to feed content to everyone's computer without permission or warning.
                      "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                      It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

Unless you have nglayout.initialpaint.delay=0 and pipelining turned on, you won't really feel the full power of Firefox's speed.
                        How do you do this?

Comment

Originally posted by c0bra
                          How do you do this?
                          In Firebird, type "about:config" in the URL bar (without the quotes though )

Where you see "Filter", put nglayout.initialpaint.delay

Then just double click on the result that comes up and put 0 in

Edit; bug? With the about config thing there's not supposed to be an underscore... but for some reason it's showing up in the post

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMac
                            In Firebird, type "about_:config" in the URL bar (without the quotes though )

Edit; bug? With the about config thing there's not supposed to be an underscore... but for some reason it's showing up in the post
                            Thanks mate. I can feel the power!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMac
                              In Firebird, type "about:config" in the URL bar (without the quotes though )

I cant seem to fid that, im using the latest nightly build of FireFox, maybe that is why :S

Comment

Originally posted by welo
                                I'm soooo glad they think so, while standing my ground against anyone who thinks it's just fine for Google to use their software to feed content to everyone's computer without permission or warning.
                                You can un-install it. Nothing is "free".
                                Computer Help Forum
                                An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X