No announcement yet.

Google hearts on my toolbar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95% or something of people use IE on the Internet, and as a result, most web masters design their sites with IE users in mind. Thus, browsers such as Mozilla can "break". Yes, I know, IE does not follow W3C regulations and stuff, but what are you going to do... most webmasters go with the IE standards, not the W3C ones.
    That percent gets lower every day. Not by much, and not very quickly, but it is continually getting smaller. I, personally, have never wandered into a site that did not work in Fx on my own. I have seen a small handful of them posted at MozillaZine, but most practical pages render 100% perfectly.

FireFox also appears to be a lot more unstable on my system anyway, it's not unusual to have two windows open with it and then find it's using 95% of my 1.9MHz processor, and 80MB of my RAM. I then have to close all the windows, and loose all the work I'm doing to prevent my system from crashing. I've never seen IE ever do anything like this. I won't go into how FireFox just likes crashing for no reason. I think I've seen IE crash once? in the last 2 years.
    Create a new profile then. Something simply went wrong. Neither Fx nor Fb have ever crashed for me.

People always say how IE has so many security holes and stuff, from what I can tell, this is because the majority of people on the Internet use it, so that is what people try to find bugs in. You don't see people trying to exploit Mozilla much, they try and find exploits in IE, because that's what everyone uses.
    Integration with the operating system + ActiveX support makes it insecure as all hell. It's not just because everyone uses it.

I can't really say I notice a difference between the time FireFox takes to render a page compared with IE, it's all much the same to me. So what if you save 0.34 seconds...
    Turn on pipelining and set nglayout.initialpaint.delay to 0, and then you'll really see things fly.

I'm sure Microsoft is seriously looking to add this feature into the next version of IE.
    Haha, don't hold your breath - you'd be holding it forever.

I don't care how firefox renders nice and stuff.

It's not like I am a webmaster guru or anything. I am just a person who browses internet from time to time.
    IE does everything I need. It hasn't crashed (on xp) or anything. Why should I bother trying other browsers?
    It's people like this that cause hell for web designers. If for no other reason, use it simply to help out a good cause: development of the Internet. IE entirely holds back any further development of the net because of it will not ever support the new technologies of the web, like CSS2/CSS3. Microsoft's domination of the Internet == bad for everyone.

I suppose if you enjoy surfing insecurely, slowly, in single-window mode, and you enjoy all the nice little apps that sites so politely install on you, IE is good enough to suit your needs.
    Last edited by CeleronXT; Sat 14 Feb '04, 8:18pm.
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by klisis
      I don't care how firefox renders nice and stuff.

It's not like I am a webmaster guru or anything. I am just a person who browses internet from time to time.
      IE does everything I need. It hasn't crashed (on xp) or anything. Why should I bother trying other browsers?
      Why use XP? WIndows 95 browses the internet just fine...

There's your answer.

Comment

So does XP. No more drivers are available for win 95.

Originally posted by okrogius
        Why use XP? WIndows 95 browses the internet just fine...

There's your answer.

Comment

So does XP. No more drivers are available for win 95.
          To use that same line of thinking, Firefox browses the internet just fine too, just no more daily security updates

Edit; still getting used to the name change (originally said "firebird" )

Comment

Originally posted by welo
            WTF is this?!

This is enough to make we want to uninstall the Google toolbar. I'm not kidding. If their system is feeding this type of garbage to my computer, what else are they putting there?
            When you download the software and install it, howerver, you agree to terms, and it is part of there terms that they can change anything on their software.
            Shane
            CIO, FrakMedia.net
            Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shane
              When you download the software and install it, howerver, you agree to terms, and it is part of there terms that they can change anything on their software.
              The argument isn't that they don't have the right to change it, the argument is that the change is stupid.
              "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
              "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

It's getting nowhere.
                My point is simple. It's doing what I need. I have no needs to seek other browser. I only visit few websites. I can even count them with my fingers.

P.S I do have a 7 year-old laptop that is running on win 95.

Originally posted by MasterMac
                To use that same line of thinking, Firefox browses the internet just fine too, just no more daily security updates

Edit; still getting used to the name change (originally said "firebird" )

Comment

I found it charming and fun, as did my wife. I'm glad they did it, and even sent them complimentary feedback.

Google has a solid rep for being anything but spyware.
                  http://mattdrury.net/bbs (since 1984)

Comment

It's getting nowhere.
                    My point is simple. It's doing what I need. I have no needs to seek other browser. I only visit few websites. I can even count them with my fingers.

P.S I do have a 7 year-old laptop that is running on win 95.
                    Use Firefox anyway just to support the good cause of separating Microsoft from it's dominance of the Internet. >_>

Do you like Google? At the rate Microsoft is milking their legal abilities, their wealth, and web dominance, they will own Google or simply overtake it with their own crappy search tools. Spreading Firefox/alternate browser popularity is a great way to ensure Google stays the best and most popular search engine out there. It's rumored that Google will make their own release of Firefox 1.0, once it's released, and have their own searchbar for it, as a way of bringing immense popularity to the browser to attempt to kill off some of Microsoft's leverage over them. If IE stays as dominant as it is now, Microsoft will ensure that they make it much easier to use their own searches than to use Google, and it will take a devastating fall. (This paragraph was stream of thought, so I'm not sure how much sense it'll make after reading it)

Using IE "just because it's already there" is the exact same logic that's going to kill Google. IE will be adding new search features that use Microsoft's own search, and they'll make them very easily accessible in the browser, and they'll make them there by default. Everyone will simply type in Microsoft's own little search box instead of taking the time to go to Google.

Originally posted by mattdrury
                    I found it charming and fun, as did my wife. I'm glad they did it, and even sent them complimentary feedback.

Google has a solid rep for being anything but spyware.
                    They still should have let those of us who hated it disable it without having to disable all of the other nice features.
                    Last edited by CeleronXT; Sat 14 Feb '04, 8:55pm.

Comment

Hehe, you sound like one of my people who speak of America in such a manner.

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                      Use Firefox anyway just to support the good cause of separating Microsoft from it's dominance of the Internet. >_>

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                        I suppose if you enjoy surfing insecurely, slowly, in single-window mode, and you enjoy all the nice little apps that sites so politely install on you, IE is good enough to suit your needs.
                        I've been using Internet Explorer since I've been using computers and I've never had any sites install any apps on my computer. I also don't know what you mean about surfing the internet slowly.. these pages load pretty fast to me.

Let's do a test. Open up a copy of IE and a copy of Firefox. Load up msn.com. Hmm, I just don't see a difference.

And why should the whole "tabbed browsing" feature be enough to convince me that Firefox is the "greatest browser in existance" anyways? Who needs more then on window open at a time anyways? Surely not me.

So please don't speak for the rest of the Internet users when you say how wonderful Firefox is; it may be better for you, but others may feel differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd B.
                          I've been using Internet Explorer since I've been using computers and I've never had any sites install any apps on my computer. I also don't know what you mean about surfing the internet slowly.. these pages load pretty fast to me.

Let's do a test. Open up a copy of IE and a copy of Firefox. Load up msn.com. Hmm, I just don't see a difference.

And why should the whole "tabbed browsing" feature be enough to convince me that Firefox is the "greatest browser in existance" anyways? Who needs more then on window open at a time anyways? Surely not me.

So please don't speak for the rest of the Internet users when you say how wonderful Firefox is; it may be better for you, but others may feel differently.
                          Do you only go to forums or ordinary trusted sites (ie. generic cnn.com, msn.com, download.com.com, etc)? I can't see how you could ever not have anything get installed unless you simply never went to any shady sites.

Have you heard of the lovely BuddyPicture trojan that takes over your AIM profile via an IE exploit and spams its junk in there to get more people get infected? Gotta love IE. I'm quite happy to brag that I never got it even though I went to the site many times - because I was in Fx.

Unless you have nglayout.initialpaint.delay=0 and pipelining turned on, you won't really feel the full power of Firefox's speed.

Tabbed browsing has made me far more efficient online. Checking all of the forums I attend and all the sites I want to read every day used to be about a 40 minute ordeal. Tabbed browsing has allowed me to cut it down to literally about 15-20 minutes. It takes some getting used to when you start, but once you get used to it almost everyone loves it.

Comment

I'm sure Microsoft is seriously looking to add this feature into the next version of IE
                            AFAIK, MS are not developing for IE anymore. aren't they working on that MSN browser/explorer or something?

Comment

I'ved used IE as my main browser (i occasionally used other for testing and such) since i first started netting, up until FireFox was released.

It's just that i used IE for such a long time, i really couldn't get used to anything else, but now i'm using FireFox and am used to it now, it really is a lot better.

That's just the thing, people are used to using IE, and because they're used to it, they won't switch. i switched, and i'm happy i did.

Comment

There's a new version of IE (6.5 I believe) in Longhorn. However, the only new feature which is a standard in other browsers is pop-up blocking.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X