Google hearts on my toolbar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nebby
    it's probably a little easter egg. get with the spirit.
    naa the developers are a little bit fruity (google bar i mean)
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by klisis
      What you need to do is disable advance features. If you enable advanced features such as page rank, the toolbar will communicate with google. If you disable the advanced feature, the toolbar will not communicate with google at all.
      That is disabled for me, but I still noticed the hearts when I had to use IE earlier today.

Not that I really care... I actually find it kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by BillaBongUSA
        Looks like someone didn't get any Valentine's Day gifts, eh?
        No kidding.
        Well, there it is.
        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

I hate those hearts. Not that I even use IE, so it really doesn't affect me, but it borked up the toolbar size ever since they showed up and I can't get it back to normal size.
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

What you need to do is disable advance features. If you enable advanced features such as page rank, the toolbar will communicate with google. If you disable the advanced feature, the toolbar will not communicate with google at all.
            And what would be the use of it if you disabled everything?

Comment

In my case, I am using the toolbar for quick searching and popup blocking. Both fuctions can be used without enabling advanced options. The hearts did not appear for my toolbar in my case.

Comment

You should use Mozilla then, it has both features included by default, plus it has the added benefit of not having glaring security holes and being able to correctly render compliant XHTML.

Oh, and if you call me a Mozilla-zaelot...; you are correct

Comment

hmmm

people are dying all over the world, our soldeirs are dying... and we are getting upset over a few hearts in a toolbar?!!!

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, let's not sweat the small stuff.

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by LeeCHeSSS
                    You should use Mozilla then, it has both features included by default, plus it has the added benefit of not having glaring security holes and being able to correctly render compliant XHTML.

Oh, and if you call me a Mozilla-zaelot...; you are correct
                    Firefox > Mozilla > Anything > Lynx > IE
                    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

Originally posted by Todd B.
                      I've just started to use "Firefox", but I would hardly proclaim it greater then IE.

Sure it has a few extra "features", but when it comes down to what you actually use a browser for (you know, browsing the internet), I can view just as many pages using IE that I can using Firefox and I've yet to have a problem.
                      It may not be better for you, but for most real people it is. The only people that ever really have problems with it (not you - you seem to find IE and Fx about equal) are those who visit lots of little kiddie geocities drag-n-drop type sites. And the fact that it's faster while still able to render most pages perfectly is quite a good feature. Coupled with tabed browsing and what not, I would absolutley proclaim it greater than IE.

However... this really isn't the thread in which to start another browser war.
                      Last edited by CeleronXT; Sat 14 Feb '04, 11:34am.

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                        It may not be better for you, but for most real people it is.
                        "real people"? How do you define "real people"?

I have FireFox installed, and Mozilla before it. I must say I still prefer Internet Explorer over it.

95% or something of people use IE on the Internet, and as a result, most web masters design their sites with IE users in mind. Thus, browsers such as Mozilla can "break". Yes, I know, IE does not follow W3C regulations and stuff, but what are you going to do... most webmasters go with the IE standards, not the W3C ones.

FireFox also appears to be a lot more unstable on my system anyway, it's not unusual to have two windows open with it and then find it's using 95% of my 1.9MHz processor, and 80MB of my RAM. I then have to close all the windows, and loose all the work I'm doing to prevent my system from crashing. I've never seen IE ever do anything like this. I won't go into how FireFox just likes crashing for no reason. I think I've seen IE crash once? in the last 2 years.

People always say how IE has so many security holes and stuff, from what I can tell, this is because the majority of people on the Internet use it, so that is what people try to find bugs in. You don't see people trying to exploit Mozilla much, they try and find exploits in IE, because that's what everyone uses.

I can't really say I notice a difference between the time FireFox takes to render a page compared with IE, it's all much the same to me. So what if you save 0.34 seconds...

Tabbed browsing is a great feature, but I would not leave IE just because of it. I'm sure Microsoft is seriously looking to add this feature into the next version of IE. For now I'm happy having two browser windows open.

Comment

Originally posted by DWZ
                          95% or something of people use IE on the Internet, and as a result, most web masters design their sites with IE users in mind. Thus, browsers such as Mozilla can "break". Yes, I know, IE does not follow W3C regulations and stuff, but what are you going to do... most webmasters go with the IE standards, not the W3C ones.
                          Not really. More and more people are making sure that their websites work in most webbrowsers, including old versions of Netscape. I don't often come across a website that doesn't work in Firebird nowadays, except maybe for a few javascripts now and then that don't do everything they're "supposed" to do, but they aren't that important anyway.

FireFox also appears to be a lot more unstable on my system anyway, it's not unusual to have two windows open with it and then find it's using 95% of my 1.9MHz processor, and 80MB of my RAM. I then have to close all the windows, and loose all the work I'm doing to prevent my system from crashing. I've never seen IE ever do anything like this. I won't go into how FireFox just likes crashing for no reason. I think I've seen IE crash once? in the last 2 years.
                          There must be something wrong with your system configuration or something because I've never seen these types of symptoms occurring in any of the comps (Macs or PCs) that I've put FF onto...and all the people online who I've shown FF to for the most part have had no complaints. I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with it though

People always say how IE has so many security holes and stuff, from what I can tell, this is because the majority of people on the Internet use it, so that is what people try to find bugs in. You don't see people trying to exploit Mozilla much, they try and find exploits in IE, because that's what everyone uses.
                          I think it's more along the lines of IE being integrated into Windows more than it being the most used browser. I don't recall a lot of security holes coming out for Netscape when it was #1 (although if there were then I'll gladly stand corrected) and it's because that wasn't integrated into Windows.

I can't really say I notice a difference between the time FireFox takes to render a page compared with IE, it's all much the same to me. So what if you save 0.34 seconds...
                          Turn on pipelining on FF and try and load a really big webpage

Tabbed browsing is a great feature, but I would not leave IE just because of it. I'm sure Microsoft is seriously looking to add this feature into the next version of IE. For now I'm happy having two browser windows open.
                          If I remember correctly, I remember reading that having one window with 2 tabs open takes up less ram than having 2 windows open, so that might be extremely usefull if you often work with lots of windows. But tabbed browsing isn't the only thing to like about FF. Stuff that I personally can't live without would be bookmark keywords, type ahead find, tabbed browsing extensions, and the general speed compared to Mac IE or other browsers.

Comment

I don't care how firefox renders nice and stuff.

It's not like I am a webmaster guru or anything. I am just a person who browses internet from time to time.
                            IE does everything I need. It hasn't crashed (on xp) or anything. Why should I bother trying other browsers?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMac
                              Not really. More and more people are making sure that their websites work in most webbrowsers, including old versions of Netscape. I don't often come across a website that doesn't work in Firebird nowadays, except maybe for a few javascripts now and then that don't do everything they're "supposed" to do, but they aren't that important anyway.
                              To the contrary, I've completely stopped checking for page rendering issues in NS4 because it is so old and supports virtually no CSS (correctly, that is).

I test my pages in IE6 and the latest version of (now) FireFox, as well as for W3C-compliance. If they're compliant, then it's the browser's fault, not mine.
                              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I don't care how firefox renders nice and stuff.

It's not like I am a webmaster guru or anything. I am just a person who browses internet from time to time.
                                IE does everything I need. It hasn't crashed (on xp) or anything. Why should I bother trying other browsers?
                                One word: Tabbed-Browsing

Its probably a safer browser as well.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X