Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google hearts on my toolbar!

WTF is this?!

This is enough to make we want to uninstall the Google toolbar. I'm not kidding. If their system is feeding this type of garbage to my computer, what else are they putting there?
    "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
    It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Hmm, I guess valentine's day...
    Ueli

Comment

it's probably a little easter egg. get with the spirit.

Comment

I don't like it and see no way to disable it. If I wanted cutsie stuff on my browser I'm more than capable of putting it there myself. What are they thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by welo
          I don't like it and see no way to disable it. If I wanted cutsie stuff on my browser I'm more than capable of putting it there myself. What are they thinking?
          Get over it and move on. Maybe whine about something worthwhile.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
          http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

I think its cute. going nuts over something so trivial.....
            There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

well sometimes the google logo also changes for special events, its gone after 24 hours
              Originally Posted by Zachery
              John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
              We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

hmmmm....
                am I the only one that doesn't have hearts on their Google toolbar?

Comment

I personally don't like it, but seeing that it'll only be like that for a couple days I can live with it.

Comment

I got rid of them. What I had to do though was uninstall the toolbar, look back through my downloads then install the previous version (sometimes it pays to be a packrat).

Interestingly, the toolbar setup files are differently named:

GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe - downloaded 11/06/2003
                    GoogleDeskbarSetup.exe - downloaded 11/17/2003

And equally interesting, the version now available from Google is named GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe. I was running the Deskbar version. Won't make that mistake again.

For anyone thinking this was overreaction, I see where you're coming from. I also see that you think it's perfectly acceptable that Google can feed garbage directly to your computer without telling or warning you, or providing a way to disable it.

For the record, there is nothing in their installation agreement or privacy policy addressing any of this aside from the usual disclaimers. What happens when someone inevitably figures out how this stuff is being fed, hacks Google and happily sends whatever else to your computer? The main advantage Google had over other search toolbars is most of them are spyware. Now I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth trusting Google anymore or not. This is a bigger issue than everyone is trivializing over a few hearts.

Comment

I never install any toolbar, for it doesn't 'explain' to you what it does and doesn't do.

Comment

What you need to do is disable advance features. If you enable advanced features such as page rank, the toolbar will communicate with google. If you disable the advanced feature, the toolbar will not communicate with google at all.

Comment

Originally posted by welo
                          I got rid of them. What I had to do though was uninstall the toolbar, look back through my downloads then install the previous version (sometimes it pays to be a packrat).

Interestingly, the toolbar setup files are differently named:

GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe - downloaded 11/06/2003
                          GoogleDeskbarSetup.exe - downloaded 11/17/2003

And equally interesting, the version now available from Google is named GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe. I was running the Deskbar version. Won't make that mistake again.

For anyone thinking this was overreaction, I see where you're coming from. I also see that you think it's perfectly acceptable that Google can feed garbage directly to your computer without telling or warning you, or providing a way to disable it.

For the record, there is nothing in their installation agreement or privacy policy addressing any of this aside from the usual disclaimers. What happens when someone inevitably figures out how this stuff is being fed, hacks Google and happily sends whatever else to your computer? The main advantage Google had over other search toolbars is most of them are spyware. Now I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth trusting Google anymore or not. This is a bigger issue than everyone is trivializing over a few hearts.
                          Or maybe this was programmed into the toolbar a long time ago? Think that is a possibility?

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with what Google is doing, they can code easter eggs into their software if they want to.

Comment

Originally posted by rockergrrl
                            hmmmm....
                            am I the only one that doesn't have hearts on their Google toolbar?
                            I don't seem to have it either but i can't say I'm too bothered Anyway, i reckon it was probably programmed in rather than being something which was fed from google to update the toolbar but who can tell?

Don't really see it as a big deal anyway.

Comment

Looks like someone didn't get any Valentine's Day gifts, eh?
                              http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X