SiteFinder :/ Ignorance is bliss !! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiteFinder :/ Ignorance is bliss !! :D

Mr. Monosov published a nice little article about the verisign sitefinder.

SiteFinder vs. Engineers: Our Mistake Is Ignorance

Originally posted by David
    We, as the Internet engineering community, have made a great mistake. Actually, it wasn't even one large mistake, but a series of small ones. Engineers are busy people, and most of us work under the constraints of the organizational entities we serve (be it ISPs, non-internet corporates, or even non-profits). Few of us have time for politics; even fewer have the desire and motivation for politics, and those of us who do try usually end up facing a brick wall of stubbornness, lack of understanding of the underlying technical issues, or just a deaf ear.
    and

Originally posted by David
    The current situation with VeriSign is unacceptable, regardless of SiteFinder (even though the former serves a good example as for *why* it is unacceptable). The DNS (applicable RFC and IETF documents) provides very clear definition of country-specific top level domains, such as ".nl", ".jp", or even ".tv". It is the full right of the governing body of each country to assign a commercial or non-commercial entity to manage the assignments of such domains in a way in which their political system sees fit. The United States of America has the '.us' top level domain for that specific purpose.
    More...
    http://www.circleid.com/article/478_0_1_0_C/

well remember, network solutions used to control the .com, ,.net, and .org domains and they had complete control over them. Everyone had to go through them for a price of 35 bucks a year.

But now you can get a .com, .net, or .org name for 9.99 and sometimes even less. so long as verisign doesn't try a sitefinder thing again, they're doing an ok job of runing everything.
    My board: http://forums.psx-dude.net
    Others: Find it Damn't!, Anime Site.

Comment

namecheap 8,88

I like it when the mail gets done by one post office,
      the phone works through one company
      and the .com's are registered at 1 place.

Monopoly? Nah, quality !

SiteFinder .. sux

Comment

Originally posted by floris
        namecheap 8,88

I like it when the mail gets done by one post office,
        the phone works through one company
        and the .com's are registered at 1 place.

Monopoly? Nah, quality !

SiteFinder .. sux
        Phone works through one company? News to me.

Seriously speaking there's no way only one company in the market improves quality, in fact it's the exact opposite - only degrades it.

Post office doesn't qualift as an example since a government agency, which in turn is controlled via your votirng rights.

Comment

I liked my country when we had just one company where we got the phone from, now I am harassed every other week with cable companies and others trying to cut me a deal I can't refuse.

I hope the postal office never changes! It would be hell.

Comment

There are lots of compeditors for post office stuff now days, except for the cheap letter.

Couriers do a better job than auspost to get packages places (except for the letter! )

Australia has one phone company that owns the physical networks, and i hear that it was pretty **** until competition was let into the market (i was too young to remember it).

Comment

Working...
            X