Fireworks or Photoshop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks or Photoshop?

I would like to learn either one of the software to build experience.
    Looking at the education price for each license, Fireworks is much lower compared to Photoshops...which is a PLUS.

I understand Photoshop is the leader in image editing but Fireworks can do what Photoshop does, right?
    Which would you personally recommend out of the two? And why?
    I doubt I have time to learn both program and once I start, I would like to remain with that program.

I use both. Different type of design tools.
    Shane
    CIO, FrakMedia.net
    Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

I use both as well, though prefer photoshop - seems easier to use at times

Comment

Wouldn't mind using both softwares but not enough money and the time to learn both programs from scratch.

I just like to know which program people prefer.
        I would like to create new images (website), make banners/logos (website) and retouch photos (printing).

Comment

I use both, they are different tools for different jobs, mixing their features together during development gives me more flexibility and result.

Comment

I'm not a fan of fireworks, i like Photoshop much better.

Comment

I use both, its best to use both.
              But if you have to concentrate on learning one, i would say photoshop
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Photoshop is more for print material and digital art, whereas Fireworks is more for web-based graphics. Fireworks MX and MX 2004 have superb usability, and outrank PS inasmuch as they can do object based editing. I would personally use Fireworks over PS any day, but I'm doing webdesign, not digital art.

Comment

Originally posted by mafo0
                  Photoshop is more for print material and digital art, whereas Fireworks is more for web-based graphics. Fireworks MX and MX 2004 have superb usability, and outrank PS inasmuch as they can do object based editing. I would personally use Fireworks over PS any day, but I'm doing webdesign, not digital art.
                  I seriously can't stand Fireworks. Sure, they can both do the same things, but Photoshop makes it much easier -- especially for web designing, in my opinion -- to manage your layer, apply layer styles, blend modes, and change any minute setting.

I've used Fireworks since version 5 before Photoshop 6 came out because of its superior image exporting abilities, but right now, I don't see any benefit to use Fireworks.

With that said, if you are going to be designing heavily using Flash, Fireworks is something to invest in. Macromedia's products have great compatibilities with each other, and right now, I use Fireworks mainly to tune and import my images into Flash.
                  :)

Comment

I also use both. I find that MX '04 has superior GIF export ability. But, Photoshop has many more affects that can be controlled to a greater extent. I think they both work well in conjunction together. You create a beautiful image in Photoshop, save it as a huge TIFF, then export it as GIF in Fireworks, and possibly add a few things here or there.

The one thing I wish Photoshop has is the ability to edit gradients after you make them! It would save so much clicking time
                    Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

I downloaded the tryout version of Fireworks but received an error saying the tryout expired.

Can Fireworks create 1)online images from scratch (banners & logos), 2)cut and paste two photos together (stitching), 3)change colors of an image, 4)crop images, and 5)adjust brightness & contract?

Those would be the main features I am looking for. I don't I'll ever use all the goodies that PS has to offer.

Comment

Yep, most of those things sound like something that any basic image editor could handle, although "change colours of an image" is a bit vague.
                        http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

If you're looking to create images and banners from scratch, go with FW. PS is more an image manipulation tool than anything, is unnecessarily complex and ungodly overpriced for what it does IMO. About the only thing I use it for nowadays is importing transparent pngs to make good gifs with (which is the only thing PS will open while retaining transparency).

If you're not used to PS you'll lose all your hair just trying to make a circle, I'm not kidding. I'm about ready to scrap both it and Illustrator. I have copies of the old Adobe ImageStyler and LiveMotion(s) though (neither of which are supported by Adobe anymore btw), and use them almost every day.

I am looking into Adobe Dimensions though.
                          "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                          It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X