Members / Trolls w / AOL Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Members / Trolls w / AOL Accounts

We have a number of trolls and members that abuse our rules from time to time. Then when they are banned, they re-sign up and go back to abusing the boards as before. I would ip ban some of these people, but they are using AOL and a number of other members end up on the same ip range.

Is there any way to single them out to prevent all the spam? Is there a contact number for AOL to report them and their account so they take action? Maybe have a lawyer send them a letter to force the issue. These people have taken up tons of my and the moderators time and it really slows down the progression of the site.

Thanks,

Mark

Just ban their email address and the IP for the time being.
    Give no attention to them in the public. Don't reply to their posts or PM's, just ban them and remove their posts.

Gather the info in a .txt file and report back to AOL Abuse department for their harrashment.

When things calmed down, you can start removing the IP one by one and see how it goes. When they get no replies, and find posting is annoying to themselves because they get removed, it wears them out eventually. All they can do is trying to get a new free email, IP and make new posts. Whereas you can ban those and remove the posts (you can do a lot more).

They will go 'ARGH, Why am I wasting my time on this stupid site' and move on to bother someone else.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Do you happen to know where I could find the contact info for AOL's abuse department?

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

Erhm, probably on their official site? AOL.Com or if the ip is from uk, aol.co.uk ..
        Most sites have a policy or abuse link or contact link. The abuse department details and how to report should be listed there. Especially for such a company.

Don't expect much from them. But if you are lucky, they don't mind sending a warning to this person to stop abusing their services on sites, for it will get their ranges blocked for access to other users who don't abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by LancerForums
          We have a number of trolls and members that abuse our rules from time to time. Then when they are banned, they re-sign up and go back to abusing the boards as before. I would ip ban some of these people, but they are using AOL and a number of other members end up on the same ip range.
          It's for people like this that Tachy Goes to Coventry was invented

Comment

I still see that as a temporary solution to forum polution - actually, I do not use it in practise.

Comment

But also remember that as soon as the person who uses AOL disconnects, when they sign on again, they get a new IP number and can then go right back on your board. Even if you ban the user name, they can re-register. Because of this, you stand a good reason of accidentally banning someone else, someone who may be a very good poster who uses AOL and who just happens to sign on to AOL maybe today and they happen to get that same IP number. They are all recycled. Be carefull!
              http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

I had an ezspammer from ezboard on my forums. I used mod_rewrite to take care of him:

RewriteEngine on
                RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} ^.*bbuserid=497.*$
                RewriteRule $ - [F]
                Replace 497 with his latest user id. He should be banned from the forums as long as he doesn't figure out that the ban is linked to the cookie.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X