• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The secret to a successful bulletin board

Entry: unique
    Function: adjective
    Definition: alone
    Synonyms: different, exclusive, individual, lone, one, onliest, only, particular, rare, separate, single, singular, solitary, solo, sui generis, uncommon, unexampled, unrepeated
    Concept: aloneness
    Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)
    Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry: unique
    Definition: one-of-a-kind
    Synonyms: anomalous, best, exceptional, extraordinary, far out, incomparable, inimitable, matchless, most, nonpareil, novel, only, peerless, primo, rare, singular, something else, special, standout, strange, uncommon, unequalled, unexampled, unimaginable, unmatched, unparagoned, unparalleled, unprecedented, unreal, unrivaled, utmost, weirdConcept: specificity

Entry: alone
    Definition: unique
    Synonyms: incomparable, matchless, peerless, singly, singular, solely, unequalled, unique, unmatched, unparalleled, unrivaled, unsurpassed
    Antonyms: common, dime a dozen, equaled, ordinary, overshadowed, surpassed
    Concept: specialization

Entry: characteristic
    Definition: distinguishing
    Synonyms: appropriate, diagnostic, differentiating, discriminating, discriminative, distinctive, distinguishing, emblematic, especial, essential, exclusive, fixed, idiosyncratic, inborn, inbred, indicative, individual, individualistic, individualizing, ingrained, inherent, innate, local, marked, native, normal, original, particular, peculiar, personal, private, proper, regular, representative, singular, special, specific, symbolic, symptomatic, typical, unique
    Antonyms: abnormal, rare, uncharacteristic, untypical, unusual
    Concept: specialization

Entry: curious
    Definition: very odd
    Synonyms: bizarre, exotic, extraordinary, marvelous, mysterious, novel, oddball, peculiar, puzzling, quaint, queer, rare, remarkable, singular, strange, unconventional, unexpected, unique, unorthodox, unusual, weird, wonderful
    Antonyms: average, common, conventional, everyday, normal, ordinary, typical, usual
    Concept: abnormality

Entry: different
    Definition: separate
    Synonyms: ad hoc, another, another story, atypical, bizarre, discrete, distinct, distinctive, diverse, especial, express, extraordinary, individual, novel, original, other, particular, peculiar, rare, several, singular, something else, special, specialized, specific, startling, strange, uncommon, unconventional, unique, unusual, various
    Antonyms: conventional, together, unified, united, whole
    Concept: separateness

Entry: dissimilar
    Definition: not alike
    Synonyms: antithetical, antonymous, contradictory, contrary, different, disparate, distant, divergent, diverse, far cry, heterogeneous, individual, mismatched, mismated, not similar, offbeat, opposite, poles apart, unequal, unique, unlike, unrelated, unsimilar, various, weird
    Antonyms: alike, equal, like, matched, same, similar
    Concept: difference

Entry: distinct
    Definition: different
    Synonyms: detached, discrete, disparate, dissimilar, distinctive, disunited, divergent, diverse, especial, individual, offbeat, particular, peculiar, poles apart, separate, separated, several, single, sole, special, specific, unassociated, unattached, unique, various
    Antonyms: associated, connected, indistinguishable, joined, linked, resembling, similar
    Concept: nonconformity

Entry: distinctive
    Definition: different
    Synonyms: characteristic, cool, diacritic, diagnostic, discrete, distinct, distinguishing, excellent, extraordinary, far cry, gnarly, idiosyncratic, individual, offbeat, original, outstanding, peculiar, perfect, poles apart, proper, separate, single, singular, special, superior, typical, uncommon, unique, unreal, weird, wicked
    Antonyms: common, normal, ordinary, similar, standard
    Concept: nonconformity

Entry: especial
    Definition: exceptional
    Synonyms: chief, distinguished, dominant, exclusive, express, extraordinary, individual, marked, notable, noteworthy, outstanding, paramount, particular, peculiar, personal, predominant, preeminent, preponderant, principal, private, set, signal, singular, special, specific, supreme, surpassing, uncommon, unique, unusual
    Antonyms: common, general, normal, ordinary, unexceptional, usual
    Concept: definiteness
    Last edited by Dotagious; Mon 2 Feb '04, 5:51pm.

I think you forgot time. It takes time to build a successful bulletin board!

Comment

And passion....

and stick-to-it and working late hours.....

and swift and courteous handling of TOS......

and friendliness......

and so much more.....
      Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Originally posted by dynamite
        I think you forgot time. It takes time to build a successful bulletin board!
        It does take time, but you can have all the time in the world… and if your forum isn’t unique, it’s destined to fail. The only exception to this rule is if the bulletin board is being utilized as a utility for an already established website. In other words… the bulletin board is not the website, but simply an extension of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy
          And passion....

and stick-to-it and working late hours.....

and swift and courteous handling of TOS......

and friendliness......

and so much more.....
          I don’t agree. I’m a member of a board whose admin is rarely around, and the board basically runs itself so long as he keeps paying or it. The moderators and members are also not the friendliest bunch (newbie bashing is almost encouraged) and the TOS is loosely applied. Regardless, it’s one of the largest and most active bulletin boards on the internet. In fact, the aforementioned makes it unique and that's why the board is so successful.

Comment

Ahh, yes. Different recipes for award winning desserts.

By my definition, I certainly couldn't consider a board with loose TOS, admin rarely around, and bashing members as successful community...no matter how many members.

Success (as is beauty) in the eye of the beholder. Don't you think?

Comment

Although I will concede the term successful as being relative, I think most here ultimately strive for size and activity within their community.

Therefore, even if the bulletin board is about monkey butts, so long as enough other people like monkey butts and post aggressively about them, it’s irrelevant. The ultimate factor is still size and activity; which is generally associated with exclusivity.

I do think other factors are of concern, but the key is uniqueness. The fact is, everyone and their mom owns a bulletin board these days. There are hundreds of these and hundreds of those. Why should I join one over the other?

Yes, having a solid TOS and being a good admin/mod is important. However, you have to get the person to join first. Otherwise, the rest of it is just water under the bridge.

I think a lot of people create bulletin boards nowadays so they can control their own community, with little or no thought to substance.

EDIT:
              I must also say that having an exceptional TOS, staff, etc. can be unique in and of itself so long as any bulletin board of a the same genre lacks similar qualities and there is a desire for others to embrace those qualities. Regardless, the term unique is still apt.
              Last edited by Dotagious; Mon 2 Feb '04, 8:28pm.

Comment

...and for those who are hesitant to admit size and activity are second to none, let me ask you...

How long would you keep your bulletin board online if you were the only member?

Comment

The secret to a successful board is to have 500 of the hot topics and get them all together in a nice network.

games: start a xbox and console and pc games site; eventually merge them together to tripple the userbase/threads/posts/etc and do the same for music, sex, movies, anime, etc.

If you open such a site, they just work - simple as that.

not my way of doing things, but some do, and it appears to be working.

Comment

I know of admins with huge sites, large traffic and they close off registration or shut their boards because they can't control the posting. Is that success? Maybe to some, not to them.

I know of communities with 500 members who are close, have a community based on respect and mutual understanding and they are *just* another duplicate board....Is this success? It is to them.

Sorry, but although traffic is a considering factor in many lists of success, it isn't the end all to end all for the top.

Just as in towns and cities across the world...it is not the population size nor the number of highways running through it that make them a successful town or a successful city.

It is the community of people that gather around an idea, to share their thoughts, their lives with one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy
                      I know of admins with huge sites, large traffic and they close off registration or shut their boards because they can't control the posting. Is that success? Maybe to some, not to them.

I know of communities with 500 members who are close, have a community based on respect and mutual understanding and they are *just* another duplicate board....Is this success? It is to them.

Sorry, but although traffic is a considering factor in many lists of success, it isn't the end all to end all for the top.

Just as in towns and cities across the world...it is not the population size nor the number of highways running through it that make them a successful town or a successful city.

It is the community of people that gather around an idea, to share their thoughts, their lives with one another.
                      I never placed an exact number on success. It could be hundreds to tens of thousands. The question is, why do people decide to join and participate? There has to be something that is unique to one over an other.

Let’s take your city for example. What if you had two duplicate cities and you had to choose which one to live in. There has to be something uniquely desirably for you to choose one over the other.

It doesn’t matter if you are talking quantity or quality; the same prerequisite applies. I only emphasized quantity because in my opinion, that’s what many here strive for whether they like to admit it or not.

There is no need for moderators, terms of service agreements or anything else if you have no members for which to apply it all. Again, I think other factors are important, but I’m singling out one in particular as the key.

Comment

Originally posted by floris
                        The secret to a successful board is to have 500 of the hot topics and get them all together in a nice network.

games: start a xbox and console and pc games site; eventually merge them together to tripple the userbase/threads/posts/etc and do the same for music, sex, movies, anime, etc.

If you open such a site, they just work - simple as that.

not my way of doing things, but some do, and it appears to be working.
                        Off Topic / General bulletin boards are a dime a dozen.

Comment

The secret to making a successful bulletin board is a thesaurus?
                          Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

No. They have to be unique.
                            Shane
                            CIO, FrakMedia.net
                            Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

Oh! Sorry! He posted a bunch of words from Thesaurus.com here!
                              Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X