X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by noppid
    One reason to be comfortable is that ATI drivers are open source, Nvidia drivers are closed source. In the long run, the ATI drivers may be better.
    Actually, this is a good reason for me to not buy ATI. I don't want to have to worry about tracking down some obscure hack to get proper functionality from a video card. With open source, ATI has lost all control over its intellectual property. For something as important as a video card, this should be a large red flag.

For the original question,

Look around. You can usually find good small televisions with a whole host of features for decent prices. If the only benefit the one you linked to is an S-Video connector, is it worth the $70 markup on it over a comparable television of the same size?

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    I've pretty much settled on this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03004

I'll just put it somewhere else in my room.

Leave a comment:

• DarkPlague
    replied
    I have had the ATI TV Wonder so I know what you are talking about their Windows XP drivers are pretty crappy but hey it runs great on Windows ME go figure... the TV Wonder Pro they have now is so much better then the one before it.

when it comes to tv I always like to think, bigger is better
    I had a 27" right by my monitor, everytime it was on it would cause the monitor to have shaky display so I just spaced them apart abit and everything is good again.
    but for a little guy like that it may do the job just right for you, only you can determine if its big enough

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    I'm not claiming to be an expert on anything, but I am saying that I have had first-hand experience with a multitude of ATI and nVidia products and I like making my position clear on my preference.

But, given as it's irrelvant to the original question...does anybody have TV recommendations? I went to Best Buy a few minutes ago and the Sony 13" clearly looked better next to the Toshiba 14" in terms of image clarity...problem is that 13" is starting to get a bit small. I wish there were sizes between 14" and 20".

Leave a comment:

• noppid
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    There is so much wrong with that post that it's not even funny (no offense intended)...I have an AGP graphics card, but a PCI TV tuner as, like the majority of graphics cards, mine doesn't have a TV tuner built-in. ATI drivers are abismal, although they have been getting better and nVidia's have been getting worse. Having open or closed source drivers doesn't mean a thing unless you're developing them for an obscure OS, in which case good luck with gaming in the first place.
    I love it, first post a question, second post an expert...no offense intended.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Originally posted by noppid
    Don't get nervous, he's complaining about a PCI card, not AGP...It's not the 90's anymore. One reason to be comfortable is that ATI drivers are open source, Nvidia drivers are closed source. In the long run, the ATI drivers may be better.
    There is so much wrong with that post that it's not even funny (no offense intended)...I have an AGP graphics card, but a PCI TV tuner as, like the majority of graphics cards, mine doesn't have a TV tuner built-in. ATI drivers are abismal, although they have been getting better and nVidia's have been getting worse. Having open or closed source drivers doesn't mean a thing unless you're developing them for an obscure OS, in which case good luck with gaming in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• noppid
    replied
    Originally posted by floris
    I still use my old Geforce2 Pro 64mb card for tv switching, 800x600 with no problems at all. Now I am about to buy a ATI card, .. you scared me.
    Don't get nervous, he's complaining about a PCI card, not AGP...It's not the 90's anymore. One reason to be comfortable is that ATI drivers are open source, Nvidia drivers are closed source. In the long run, the ATI drivers may be better.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I still use my old Geforce2 Pro 64mb card for tv switching, 800x600 with no problems at all. Now I am about to buy a ATI card, .. you scared me.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    started a topic Getting a little TV

Getting a little TV

I'm officially completely p***ed off at my ATI TV Wonder PCI. Crashes five minutes into watching TV, forcing a reboot (often a reset), bloatware drivers...

I'm looking at getting an actual TV instead because the TV tuner cards seem to be overpriced and, ironically, look lower-quality on a high-quality monitor due to TV being such an abismal resolution. I want to place it next to my existing monitor, which is a 17" CRT.

I found this at Amazon, although I'd probably buy it locally at Best Buy so returns can be easy, just in case: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03004

It has S-Video in as well as even Component--on a 14" TV. It's also a flat screen.

Suggestions? Will I run into shielding issues with my monitor next to it?

If anybody has other product recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them, but note that any of them must not be above 20", need to have S-Video input, stereo (or, somehow, digital) audio output, and a flat screen (still CRT, though). I also won't spend more than $200. The higher the scan lines the better. There are quite a few nice small TVs out there, but manufacturers are too cheap to add an S-Video port. Lame.

I'll be eBay'ing my TV Wonder card.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X