Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone PLEASE get me a free email ban list?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here are instructions to get an upto date list.. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...05&postcount=1
    Last edited by fraser; Mon 27 Mar '06, 5:09am.

Comment

here is a post with the list and instructions how to update it... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...96#post1100896

Comment

Originally posted by fraser
        here is a post with the list and instructions how to update it... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...96#post1100896
        Very handy., thanks
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Okay, that's pretty good. Had considered doing something similar a looong time ago and never quite got to it. Thanks for posting the script. I'll see about updating the list using it later this week.
          "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
          It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

[mod action] Threads Merged

Comment

update..

Ok i sorted and collected, then collected some more Figured since i got a stack of them here id share the rest i found...

here is a list of 16584 (not a typo) unique valid free email domains....
              http://www.myupb.com/upb1.97/biglist.php

if your interested, it gets tough processing arrays that have a lot of keys... So instead of loops you must use array functions to handle them..Here is what i did...

1) Dump as many free domains into a text file as i can find.. call it 'my_biglist.txt'

2) created this file, called 'process_biglist.php'
              PHP Code:
              <?php

// get all the emails in a string
              $all file_get_contents('my_biglist.txt');

// strip off all the '@' symbols 
              $all str_replace('@'''$all);

// Create an array of all the domains
              $list explode(" "$all);

// get rid of any duplicate entries and re-index with key at 0
              $temp array_unique($list);
              $list array_values($temp);

// Set the total number of vaild domains
              $total_valid_domains 0;

// we walk through the list and call this function
              function isValidMX($item$key
              {
              global 
              $total_valid_domains;
              if ( 
              checkdnsrr $item"MX" ) )
              {
              echo 
              "@".$item." ";
              $total_valid_domains++;
              }
              }

// Call isValidMX on each domain
              array_walk($list'isValidMX');

echo 
              "<br /><br />!!EOF<br />Total valid domains: ".$total_valid_domains

?>
              3) collect the output and save it for whatever use...
              Last edited by fraser; Tue 28 Mar '06, 5:59am. Reason: added re-index of unique_arrary in php example

Comment

mx.servers rather than domains?

After playing around with a quick tool i made to check also the MXrecords for the domains collected, i have found somthing rather interesting...

An awfull lot of free-email providers use the same host and the same mx.servers!!! this means that rather than banning by domain, you could ban by mx.server and have a hell of a lot smaller list. Also as an added bonus any new domains registered on these servers will allready be banned!

For instance, The Mail exchange server mx1.another.com (with a priority of 5) is used by 300+ seprate domains, who offer free email, as there ONLY mail server.

Basically I plan to compile this new list of free mx.servers and will post it/links here if anyone would like it.

Regards,

Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by fraser View Post
                  After playing around with a quick tool i made to check also the MXrecords for the domains collected, i have found somthing rather interesting...

An awfull lot of free-email providers use the same host and the same mx.servers!!! this means that rather than banning by domain, you could ban by mx.server and have a hell of a lot smaller list. Also as an added bonus any new domains registered on these servers will allready be banned!

For instance, The Mail exchange server mx1.another.com (with a priority of 5) is used by 300+ seprate domains, who offer free email, as there ONLY mail server.

Basically I plan to compile this new list of free mx.servers and will post it/links here if anyone would like it.

Regards,

Fraser.
                  If that list can be used in vbulletin, I'd like to have it please.

Comment

To ban by MX Server would probably require a hack. The hack would have to resolve the domain name of the email for every new user to your forum. This would not be very fast, mind you, and might make the page timeout if it doesn't resolve in a timely manner.
                    Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Comment

any updates?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X