My website being attacked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My website being attacked?

Yesterday morning I awoke to several hundred attachment viruses all spammed to the websites addresses. The (what seemed like) spoofed addresses included mine and some friends. Nothing of the sort happened today.

Then im browsing the site over, when it starts to get real sluggish. I then noticed a rather large influx in online activity. Over 100 (not usual) guests were all viewing one thread. I checked the thread and it was just some nasty useless 'troll' post. There were a few spider guests, none more then the usual couple doing their own thing.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com

There's a particularly nasty virus going around:

http://[email protected]

Make sure your virus scanner is up-to-date.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Your forum software is 2.2.8 which is rather outdated, maybe they used an older exploit to get in the forum and gather email addresses, and used those to spam. Or some user got infected through a normal virus email thingy and spread it around, had your email and from others in his address book, which most virusses these days used to spoof and mass mail others to get as many infections as possible with being harder to trace back.

Do you have html turned on in your forum?

Comment

Nah, this is definitely the Novarg virus. I've been hit with hundreds of virus emails too - all to verious non-existent email addresses on my domain.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by floris
          Your forum software is 2.2.8 which is rather outdated, maybe they used an older exploit to get in the forum and gather email addresses, and used those to spam. Or some user got infected through a normal virus email thingy and spread it around, had your email and from others in his address book, which most virusses these days used to spoof and mass mail others to get as many infections as possible with being harder to trace back.

Do you have html turned on in your forum?
          ohh god,, i have the flu and i am on alot of meds for it.
          I gotta admit your avatar really messed me up lol.
          I thought i was seeing things
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by snyx
            Yesterday morning I awoke to several hundred attachment viruses all spammed to the websites addresses. The (what seemed like) spoofed addresses included mine and some friends. Nothing of the sort happened today.

Then im browsing the site over, when it starts to get real sluggish. I then noticed a rather large influx in online activity. Over 100 (not usual) guests were all viewing one thread. I checked the thread and it was just some nasty useless 'troll' post. There were a few spider guests, none more then the usual couple doing their own thing.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
            Check your /usr/bin directory and for messages containing the text /Copyright (C) 1989, 1991 Free Software Foundation, Inc. 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Finally!

Comment

more on this at...

The Register

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by TownGirl
                  Sometimes the Linux folk take their free software a little too intensely...
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

If you're referring to this worm, it wasn't written by the OSS community. It was written by some guy in Russia trying to make the OSS community look bad.
                    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

thanks guys, I will update my software.
                      I guess.. false alarm.

aside, if I was being attacked by some local netnerd on a vigaliante rampage.
                      what sorta methods would he use, and how could I protect myself?
                      MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X