Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radon3k
    replied
    Thanks for the information everyone, I really appreciate it. Hooper, I checked out some of those Antec cases and they look pretty nice. I think I'm going to get one of those when it comes time.

Edit: I've been doing some reading and it alomst seems as if the new AMD Athlon 64 processor is better than the current P4's (Northwood) and the new ones (Prescott). Could anybody give their input on this, please? And what about HyperThreading on the AMD's (though it might be a different name for AMD's)?

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    Hmm...okay cause it looks like my case is rigged up with 4 intakes (one top, two front ones in in front of the HDs, one on window) and 2 outtakes (both on the back)

Hopefully it will keep my new A64 system cool

Thanks Hooper
    Yeah, I would think so. But remember, you do not want to pull in more air (huge excess) then you can exhaust either. It needs to pull in and exhaust the same amount of air. This maximizes your cooling and keeps a continuous air flow pattern across the components. That is the goal. Make sure you get a quality case as well. I've ripped my fingers open for years on junk no named brand cases.

Best wishes to you.
    Last edited by Hooper; Sun 1 Feb '04, 2:52am.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Hmm...okay cause it looks like my case is rigged up with 4 intakes (one top, two front ones in in front of the HDs, one on window) and 2 outtakes (both on the back)

Hopefully it will keep my new A64 system cool

Thanks Hooper

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    how many 80mm fans would you recommend?
    As mentioned in the other post, the main concern is the "pattern" of air flow. You need air to be circulated from the front of the case pulled in across the components and then exhausted (sucked) out the rear. If I were to use 80mm fans on say a P4 3+ GHZ with 2 or more 7200rpm drives, I would use one 80mm fan in front of the drives and one or two more for exhaust.

Should do it.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    how many 80mm fans would you recommend?

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Hey Hooper

Since you are the expert on cooling, do you think this is a sufficent case to keep an AMD Athlon XP/ AMD 64 / P4 System cool? How about hard drives?

As long as you have intake and exhaust fan capability. Those are more of a modded type case, but for the most part, the modded cases are usually designed with plenty of fan snap clips. Over clockers use that type of case with plenty of blow holes. So my guess without looking at it closely would be yes. I did however notice that the case is setup for use with smaller fans in the rear. Although I prefer 120mm, the smaller fans combined may have the same affect.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Hey Hooper

Since you are the expert on cooling, do you think this is a sufficent case to keep an AMD Athlon XP/ AMD 64 / P4 System cool? How about hard drives?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Radon3k
    I'm not sure what XPC SFF models are. If possible, I'd like to make the system as quiet as possible and as cool as possible when I build it so if I can make it like the BTX that would be good. Thanks for the help so far everyone.
    All the cooling and quiet combination is garbage. If you want a cool system, then make sure you have a dual fan intake on the power supply and a 120mm intake on the front of the case. That is why I recommended the Antec cases. They have snap in 120mm fan clips on the front and rear of the cases. Make sure the front 120mm fan pulls in, make sure the 120mm on the rear pulls out. That is the best fan cooling you are going to have as the air needs to pass from the front of the case and out the rear as it is designed to do.

Hard disks need air. Especially the newer 7200rpm and up. They get extremely hot. The 120mm fans keep them cool by being placed directly in front of the drives. Again, antec.

120mm fans are not quiet. Panaflow is designed to cool, not be quiet. There are quiet fans, but they cannot compete with 120mm Panaflow or other name brand 120mm fans.

Air circulation is a must. I wouldn't worry about the new BTX etc... unless you just want one. ATX isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It will be here for many years to come. Focus on stability with a good mainboard and ram. Then add fast disks with an 8M cache or a scsi sub system. The rest is just tinkering with new toys and technology (nothing wrong with that either).

On a side note, I have a small network setup. I have a few machines lined up in a row, all Antec with the same 120mm fans. 2 per case. It's not that loud. Temperatures stay cool. Don't short yourself on cooling for a quiet computer. Heat is the reason for instability and hardware failure. That will not change anytime soon.
    Last edited by Hooper; Sun 1 Feb '04, 2:30am.

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    Here you go.

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/

I've got this one.

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/ba...lt.asp?B_id=23

Leave a comment:

• John Round
    replied
    The picoBTX case looks like it will have the same form as a video recorder

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k
    replied
    I'm not sure what XPC SFF models are. If possible, I'd like to make the system as quiet as possible and as cool as possible when I build it so if I can make it like the BTX that would be good. Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    Much of what BTX will offer is already in place in the XPC SFF models. I just built one last week and I can say it is so quite you don't even know its running.
    It has the same cooling that the new BTX will have. A fan in the back of the case that blows air through the heatsink which is enclosed like on the BTX.
    ATX won't go away so you don't have to worry about getting addons in the future. AT is still around, just not a prevalent.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    omg btx

this too

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k
    replied
    Any place I can read more on BTX? Another thing I hadn't heard of until now. Thanks, Hooper, for the information on the RAM and the recommendation on Samsung.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Radon3k
    Thanks, Hooper, for the information. (I have a 15" LCD now but I want something that gives me better resolution than 1024x768).

Samsung.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X